Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 6 (882 Views)

Bright spot the size of cursor on Spectre X360 screen

Product Name: Spectre X360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I've had my Spectre x360 for two months now and noticed this just recently. The reason I noticed was that it was the first time I had a completely white screen, and the defect became very apparent. Spot stays stationary on screen and is most apparent with white or grey backgrounds, and is not very noticeable on blacks. The machine has been handled very delicately and not transported so it's certainly not damage. Will HP replace the unit for me? This is the second Spectre X360 I've had, first had WiFi and track pad problems and I am beginning to get quite frustrated.
Retired
Message 2 of 6 (856 Views)

Re: Bright spot the size of cursor on Spectre X360 screen

Hi@BeNZealand,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that you are noticing a spot on the display that stays stationary. It is more noticeable on a grey or white background than on a black one.

I am happy to assist you with that difficulty, Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting a Notebook LCD Panel Issue (Windows 8/8.1, 7). Please let me know the results.

Good Luck!

If a post solves your difficulty, please choose "Accepted Solution" to help other posters find that information.

To show appreciation for my assistance, please click the "Thumbs Up Ion" below.

Sparkles1

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (790 Views)

I am encountering this same problem as well.

The laptop is great, but these marks are annoying and are unimpressive given the amount paid for a "top-end" laptop.

I was told by an HP Technical Support technician that fixing such marks would not be covered by warranty as they would be "accidental damage", but the hinges on the Spectre are. I found this curious as both work together to make the "2-in-1" tablet-laptop functionality. I've hardly even used the touchscreen and always been very delicate with the laptop.

Calling this accidental damage is a pretty terrible way of trying to skirt standing behind your products: it is a touchscreen computer, the touchscreen should not be damaged from negligible use. I have a touchscreen phone that I am constantly pressing and in 3 years have never had a similar mark. I got this with my Spectre 1 month in from almost never touching it (and if I was, it was to get it out of this finicky state where it would randomly zoom in and select things when I had no hands on the laptop (screen or keyboard/mouse).

Anyways, I hope there is a solution covered by warranty here as this laptop was very expensive and is failing at one of its core selling features with limited and careful use.

Intern
Message 4 of 6 (778 Views)

Mine was covered by warranty. Make sure that you explain to them that it was there when you bought it, but has become more apparent recently because you have been doing things involving blank white screens (such as word processing). If it is a small mark (smaller than, say, the end of a finger) then it is likely caused by a speck of dust or something between the laminated layers of the screen. I assume the rest of your laptop is in mint condition so blaming accidental damage is bogus. Best of luck.

Intern
Message 5 of 6 (740 Views)

Mine has it too, and ok, I've carried it around a lot, since I take it to work, but it's always in the protective sleeve it came with, I always open it up super carefully, and yet it now has quite a large mark smack in the middle of the screen.

I don't want to send it in, since I've only had it for five months and I need it for work, I've finally managed to get the system to run relatively smoothly after a bunch of driver issues and I really don't want to run the risk of HP sending me a "repaired" laptop with a bunch of refurbished parts. I paid 1800 Euros for this thing, expecting it to last a solid 4-5 years at least, this is very disappointing to say the least, especially given all the other issues I've had with it (coil whine, the body being crooked, driver issues, lines appearing on the screen, no battery life indication...).

After having had a cheap Pavilion for the longest time without any issues (except that it got way too slow, which was to be expected after 4 years) and reading the good reviews on this one, I was confident that this would be a very decent laptop, but now I don't trust it'll last very long, and I'll be out of a lot of money...

Intern
Message 6 of 6 (722 Views)

Same feeling here, you would expect to have absolutely no issues if you are paying for a "premium" machine, but it seems the x360 is riddled with them. I would suggest biting the bullet and sending it in, HP had it back to me within the week and the replacement part was, or at least looked, new.
The spot on the screen won't get any better and your warranty only lasts 12 months.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation