Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adriangb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brightness control keys not working

Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the strangest problem... When on battery (and only when on battery) my screen brightness keys (f2, f3) don't work. When I press them, the popup appears in the top left, but it won't move up or down with the keys. Using the touchscreen or a mouse I can drag it and it does indeed adjust the brightness. When plugged in to charge, the keys work as they would normally. I have tried disabling and enabling the "Generic PnP Monitor" device as well as reinstalling graphics and chipset drivers. I also tried changing the power profile and obviously restarting. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello@adriangb,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Brightness control not working on battery on the PC. Did I get it, right?

I recommend you to uninstall the keyboard driver and restart the PC using only the battery and check if that works.

• Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
  • Expand the node that represents Keyboards, right-click the device entry and click Uninstall.
  • On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  • When the uninstall process is complete, restart the PC.

Note: Do not check the box which asks for the confirmation of deletion of the driver.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
adriangb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It didn't work. Also, it never asked to uninstall the driver. I did the PS2 Keyboard, not the HID device

0 Kudos
adriangb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The model number is 13-4194DX

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 822 1400
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@adriangb

Thanks for the information. :)

I suggest you to try the following steps:\

Step 1: Right click on Windows logo and click Device Manager.

Device Manager

Step 2: Now find the Display adapters and expand it.

Step 3: Now right click on your graphics card and click “Update Driver Software“.

update driver software Windows 10

Step 4: Click “Browse my computer for driver software“.

Step 5: Click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer“.

Step 6: Now select “Intel HD Graphics” or compatible graphics like NVIDIA, AMD, etc. and click next.

Let me know the outcome. All the best! :)

0 Kudos
adriangb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Already reinstalled Intel GPU drivers
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 822 1400
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@adriangb

Could you please perform Windows updates and then try the steps mentioned in this video: http://hp.care/2iwjOtH and http://hp.care/2iwxYv2

NOTE: These are third party links, I suggest you to ignore the ads.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
adriangb Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had tried both already, but (1) doesn't apply because I AM able to change the screen brightness, just not via keyboard keys while I'm on battery.  I tried (2) and it didn't do anything. I also Disabled/Re-enabled the Generic PnP device to no avail.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@adriangb,

Thanks for the response.

Then, try the link below and update the BIOS update and chipset driver as well and check if that solves the issue.

BIOS: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77501-78000/sp77784.exe

Chipset Driver: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72001-72500/sp72025.exe

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation