Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 6730b
Microsoft Windows XP

I've gone through all of your online help documents / forums, and for the life of me can't figure out why it's so hard to bypass the log in to this laptop. My General Manager gave me this laptop that's been in our storage room for years. I've taken out the internal batter, followed YouTube videos....I've tried everything. Any help?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only way I know of to get by a Windows login password is to purchase a set of recovery disks for your PC.

In the USA/Canada, call HP at this number and order a set.  1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number of the PC handy to give to the customer services rep.

A set will cost $10 delivered via 1st class mail.  For the 6730b, you can probably get a set for Vista or W7.

If you are referring to a BIOS password, the only way to clear that is to call the same number, explain the issue, and they should be able to send you a BIOS SMC.BIN file that you can use when booting up the PC to clear the BIOS password.

If it is a BIOS P/W issue...When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.