Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've recently noticed that there are over 73,000 files in this folder and would like to know if it is safe to delete them? I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro with MC x64.

TIA for any input on this.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Run Disk Cleanup.Click on the button "Clean up system files". Also choose "Windows Update Cleanup". 

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I know it's been a long time since this thread was started.  However, I had the same issue recently and found the rather simple answer while searching the web.   The problem is, I can't find the link at the moment to give proper credit.

Here's the basics:

The entries in Pending Renames are put there by running the SFC.exe /scannow application.  SFC doesn't do a good job of cleaning up after itself. It leaves tons of entries in that folder.  If you were to open the folder and run SFC.exe /scannow, you will  see it in action.

The fix:

The TrustedInstaller app will go into "scavenge mode" after it installs a program/update.  After an install/upgrade, it waits  for an idle period of approx 5-10 minutes and then runs the scavenge mode.  This will cleanup the files.

To clear out that directory, install something such as telnet which will invoke the TrustedInstaller.  You can see the process running  in task manager.  Then, don't run any apps at all  for about 10 mins and you'll notice the directory has been magically cleared. 

The key is to get TrustedInstaller running and have the PC idle for more than 5 minutes.   In this fast paced world, I would think we're installing programs and want to run them immediately.  Because there normally isn't an idle time, TrustedInstaller doesn't always get to do its magic.

This only works for pending renames.  It won't do anything for the other files in the winsxs\temp directories.

As I said, I found an excellent writeup on the web for this and wish I could give credit but alas, cannot find it again. 

I hope this will help someone

HP Recommended

I know this solution has already been described, I thought to include a bit more info followed by a step-by-step explaination for folks who need the further help. 

The "C:\Windows\winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames" subfolder is also used by Windows Update to store files temporarily when the existing files are in use by the system and is normally cleared when files are updated during a system restart, but occasionally they do not get deleted and remain in the folder.  Sometimes running Windows Disk Cleanup (see below) will trigger Windows to complete the task.

* If you are not on the start screen, tap on the Windows-key, or selectStart.

* In the Search programs and files, which is where the cursor will be blinking by default, type Disk Cleanup and select "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files".

* Click on "Clean up system files". The application restarts and additional cleanup options become available.

* Look for the entries "Previous Windows installation(s)" - if you have upgraded from a previous version - and "Windows Update Cleanup".  Select these and any others you want to clean.  It's quite safe to select all available options.

Note: If you select the above two options, you'll be unable to restore a previous version of Windows [if you upgraded windows] or uninstall previous windows updates.

After running Disk Cleanup perform a system restart and then repeat the procedure, restarting again.

be-well
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.