cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ItzGilly
6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

CPU Upgrade, OS

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6 2010sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So, I have owned this laptop for nearly six years and it is still in good condition. I have done daily maintenance since I have got this computer. I have factory reset the laptop every 3 months. I use this laptop for work and entertainment. After the first year, the laptop began overheating, and have noticed the fan is a little loud. I was just wondering if I should ever bother upgrading the CPU to one that is Quad-Core to make the speed faster or would that make no difference or is there no point since the hardware is pretty much outdated?

Could this laptop be campatible with Windows 8 and could upgrading to Windows 8 make the performance issues and solve the overheating? I don't Want to get a new laptop since it is in good condition. I have pretty much kept it in stock conditon since purchase, so no uneccessary applications, only the essentials (Chrome, Norton, Microsoft Office). I have even set it to high performance, since the overheating remains the same and performance to see if it would make any difference. And have adjusted the Advance System Settings in favour of performance. 

I have tried verything to keep this laptop running smooth since purchase and I just don't know whether is better to upgrade the hardware or the Operating System. I have also tried upgrading the RAM from 3GB to 4GB and 6 months later, it's onthe same performance level as it was when it was on 3GB. Would a powerful CPU make the performance better or worsen the overheating?

My current CPU: AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 2.10GHz

Any Ideas, Forum?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Malygris1
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 454 848
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @ItzGilly

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

I understand that you are running into some heat issues with your notebook and you are looking at some options for improving the system. I am happy to help with this.

Firstly, your upgrade options for a notebook are somewhat limited, as the components have to match the space, and existing connections for the shell the notebook is contained within. You have to be concerned with heat dissipation, power consumption, performance, and the compatibility of all of the components, and their drivers. So in terms of recommended parts we would use the service manual for that series for replacement parts and/or upgrade options. When I checked the support site for this model, it was not present, but for many older models it is not available online although many other manuals are present that may be of use to you.

HP Pavilion dv6-2010sa Entertainment Notebook PC - Manuals

As to an operating system upgrade, it seems as if Windows 8 and 8.1 are available as options for that model, so you could look at it, just be sure that all the drivers you will need are available on the support page. Also make sure that you have made a set of recovery disks, to help get back to your original factory installation, if you need to.

You started with mentioning the heat issues, and that you have tended to set your system more in favour of performance over all else. In practice, that actually makes a heat situation worse (graphics and higher performance CPUs add even more heat). Please look through these pages as they may be helpful to you.

HP Notebook PCs - Reducing heat inside the PC to prevent overheating
HP Notebook PCs - Why Computers Generate Heat

For slow performance issues check through these, but be aware it is a balancing act between high perfomance and the possibility of heat damage. But there are several things within these pages that can improve performance without increasing heat output.

HP PCs - Resolving Slow System Performance (Windows 7)
HP PCs - Windows 7 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow After Connecting to the Internet

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation