Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
titanium_spork Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CPU not increasing clock speed when demanding application is launched

Envy m7-k111dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I bought this laptop roughly a year and a half ago, and has been running fairly well. Recently (as in a few months ago) I noticed when I try and do anything remotely resourse intensive, it runs a lot slower. After a bit of research, I found out that it has to do with the mobile processor going to a lower clock speed (i.e 798 MHz) when not in heavy use in order to save power. However, even if I load something up, let's say Minecraft, the clock speed stays at 798 MHz, causing me to get a rather atrocious framerate. Occasionally, the processor actually ramps up to it's advertised 2,700 MHz, and when it does it's smooth sailing. Any idea as to why it's doing this?

Specifications:

• CPU: Intel i7-4510u
  • GPU: NVidia Geforce 840m
  • RAM: 12gb
  • Storage: 240gb Sandisk SSD

Here is a screenshot of Minecraft open with HWMonitor showing the framerate and the processor clock speed:

de2dfe4b9e377c5d96c98f82846bcf1e.png

Thanks in advance,

-titanium_spork

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
titanium_spork Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CPU not increasing clock speed when demanding application is launched

Bump. Has there really not been an issue like this before? I'm assuming so as I haven't gotten any answers on Tom's Hardware either, and that post has been up for a few weeks now.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation