Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
CQ41-217TU
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi all!

I wanted to upgrade my old but still working laptop from windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 64 bit.

When I started the installation of the new OS, it just displays the option and when it starts formatting the disk, the screen will turn black and will not continue even if I leave it plugged to AC and after some hours.

Is the system compatible with Windows 10 64bit?

Existing specification:

Windows 7 32bit

Core i3

2 GB memory

Also, I added 4 GB memory making it 6GB total and it sees the total memory.

But it is somehow useless since its still windows 7.

Hope you can advice and help.

Thanks

-Mike

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MikelTuaz,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with upgrading the operating system of your Compaq Presario CQ41-217TU Notebook PC.

This issue could occur the minimum requirements are not met.

Also, you can upgrade from a 32bit operating system to 32 bit OS only. You cannot upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.

And here's the link to check the minimum requirements for the upgrade: http://hp.care/2i9TW6f

Keep me posted.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi there...

I am sure that the minimum requirements of Windows 10 has been met.

Also, regarding the upgrade,sorry for the confusion.

I formatted the 1TB harddisk of the laptop before I started installing the 64 bit windows 10 OS.

More, this is not the first time I did a format and install on a laptop.

I am a bit confused if the laptop itself is not capable of the upgrade for windows 10 or is there a limitation.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@MikelTuaz,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you have already done the upgrade before and also the system requirements are more than enough.

This issue could be with the software disk.

Hence, please try a different software disk and repeat the process.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @Rainbow23,

Thanks for the message.

by the way, I am using a genuine software disc which I bought together with the company purchase.

also, i tried using a bootable USB installation and it has the same problem.

but to clarify the issude, the laptop is capable of upgrade to windows 10 64bit?

I will be doing the process again and this time, I will put a 2TB hdd and a single stick of 8GB ram.

will this still be acceptable?

Thank you very much for the support.

HP Recommended

Hi @MikelTuaz, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for your response and time.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please find the minimum requirement to upgrade your PC to windows 10.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
A Microsoft account and Internet access

Please find the list of hard drives supported by your laptop. If you upgrade your laptop apart from the listed hard drives, You PC might not recognize the hard drive.

500 GB, 7200 rpm 575569-001
320 GB, 7200 rpm 575568-001
250 GB, 7200 rpm 575567-001
160 GB, 7200 rpm 580846-001

Also, the maximum memory supported by your laptop is 8GB. 4GB in one slot and 4GB in another slot.

Refer maintenance and service guide of your laptop for more information.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.