Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp r014tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I did a minimised image recovery, which cause the error CTOERROR.FLG.

And my device is not booting. I have also HP recovery manager on my external harddisk but I don't know how to use it. Please help me to fix this problem. Plz tell me how to recover using external hard disk.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @kumaraman430

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you performed a recovery on your computer and your computer is no longer booting to the desktop. You have created a recovery kit on your external HDD, the HDD does not have any other content and you are looking to know how to use it to reinstall the OS on your computer, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

May I know the procedure you followed to create a recovery kit on the external HDD? Click here to know about the procedure to create a recovery kit. 

Perform a power reset on the computer. Click here for assistance. 

Please disconnect any devices connected to your computer. 

If you have any USB or DVD in the computer, please disconnect it.

Disconnect the adapter, remove the battery (if it can be removed)

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain the static in the computer. 

Connect the adapter and battery to the computer. 

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping F2 or ESC repeatedly on startup. 

This should get you to a Startup Menu and from there you can select System Diagnostics. 

Please select system diagnostics and run an extensive system test. Click here

If any of the tests fail, please replace the failed component or contact our phone support for the service options available. 

If all the tests pass, check if your computer can boot the recovery manager by tapping F11 on startup. 

If the computer boots to the recovery manager, try to perform a recovery again. 

If you want to use the external HDD to perform a recovery on your computer and if the recovery kit was created using the method mentioned in the article.

Shut down the computer. 

Wait for a minute. 

Turn the computer On while the external HDD is connected. 

Keep tapping F9 repeatedly on startup and select the External HDD in the boot options menu. 

If the recovery kit is detected, it would perform a recovery on your computer. Click here

If the external HDD is not detected, you would need to contact our phone support to order a set of recovery kit. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I just copied pasted the recovery media from my laptop to HDD that why its not working. So plzz can help me get new recovery drive.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, request you contact our phone support to get a copy of the recovery kit. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.