cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
VinceWT Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can HP System Recovery DVDs be used to clean Install Windows?

Product number: G0T59AV
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a custom-built HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO (ENERGY STAR) (product number: G0T59AV) with the following hardwares:

- Intel Core i7-4510U 2-Core 2.0GHZ

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 4GB

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- My motherboard can support SATA3 6GB/s (checked with Sisoftware Sandra)

- No touchscreen, pre-installed Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and have an optical drive installed.

- 1TB of about to die (IMO) HDD

I want to replace my HDD with SSD (Samsung 850 PRO 256GB) and don't know if my HP System Recovery DVD Set can be used to clean install. I used it to recover my laptop a couple and I don't think I see anything that relate to installing Windows. Can someone who have use this DVD set confirm for me that I can use it to clean install Windows on my new drive? Here's the picture of that HP System Recovery DVD Set:

2016-11-13 20.25.25.jpg

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
102,632 96,710 14,983 23,079
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can HP System Recovery DVDs be used to clean Install Windows?

Hi:

Unless someone has the same model notebook and used the same recovery disks on a much smaller hard drive, no one will be able to confirm that your disk set will work.

The only issue you may encounter is that normally, the recovery disk set will not work on a much smaller hard drive.

Since the SSD you have is only 1/4 the size of the original one, I don't have much confidence in the recovery disk set working.

Your only option would be to try it and see.  Maybe you'll get lucky.

If you can't, then I guess you will have to use some disk cloning software to transfer the operating system from your old HDD to the new one.  Perhaps this link will be of help, because you will have to clone the drive to a smaller one.

http://www.geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-clone-hard-drive-to-smaller-drive/

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation