Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Mac OS is the computer operating system for Apple Computer's Macintosh line of personal computers and workstations.

However, I don't knw if I can install Mac OS on my HP Pavilion notebook?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

On a Virtual Machine - yes :Wink:

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you so much indeed,

Yes, but as you said on VM can be installed. However, this is just a virtual machine and not a physical machine.

Mac OS can only be installed on  Apple computers.

The same thing for the Linux OS. I.e. I cannot install it on my HP pailion Notebook?

HP Recommended

The only officially supported operating system for your particular machine is Windows (vendor-Microsoft).

Mac OS is custom OS - made by Apple and tailored for their own hardware, their own devices. Additionally, they have their own EULA.

http://www.howtogeek.com/178031/why-is-it-still-so-difficult-to-install-os-x-on-pcs/

However, some Linux distributions can be installed and used. Although not officially supported, they may work well on your computer. Mac OS (UNIX-based) and Linux are completely different story compared to Windows.

Re. your last question - you may be able to install and work with Linux based OS (Linux kernel has wide variety of its own drivers and most components - if not all, should work fine). If you decide to try - do not forget to create a back-up of all your important files - on external media/device.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I hope this info helps.

If you have any other questions about this topic, please feel free to post again.

HP Recommended

@IT_WinSec wrote:

The only officially supported operating system for your particular machine is Windows (vendor-Microsoft).

Mac OS is custom OS - made by Apple and tailored for their own hardware, their own devices. Additionally, they have their own EULA.

http://www.howtogeek.com/178031/why-is-it-still-so-difficult-to-install-os-x-on-pcs/

However, some Linux distributions can be installed and used. Although not officially supported, they may work well on your computer. Mac OS (UNIX-based) and Linux are completely different story compared to Windows.

Re. your last question - you may be able to install and work with Linux based OS (Linux kernel has wide variety of its own drivers and most components - if not all, should work fine). If you decide to try - do not forget to create a back-up of all your important files - on external media/device.

Do you know which editions of Linux can be installed, and worked well on my HP laptop?

Also, I think that when I install a fresh installation of Linux OS, then I'll need to install the drives and application of my devices(such, as Bluetooth, Graphics adapters, Biometric devices, and so on.) How can I get those drivers as lon as ALL drivers available in my mfg are for Windows 7????

HP Recommended

@cooperator wrote:

Do you know which editions of Linux can be installed, and worked well on my HP laptop?

Also, I think that when I install a fresh installation of Linux OS, then I'll need to install the drives and application of my devices(such, as Bluetooth, Graphics adapters, Biometric devices, and so on.) How can I get those drivers as lon as ALL drivers available in my mfg are for Windows 7????

Hello,

If you decide to check and go/install Linux, It is up to you to you to choose and decide which GNU/Linux edition is the best for you. Linux is competely different world so things with it are done slightly differently than what most people are used to in Windows.

You can search the popular search engines for various Linux for newbies or things like that and you will find a lot.

Here are some general articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

As you can see here => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions  there area really a lot of Linux distros to choose from.

According to http://distrowatch.com/ , today these are the top 7 most popular (most used) Linux distros:

1     Mint     
2     Ubuntu
3     Debian     
4     openSUSE
5     Fedora
6     CentOS
7     Mageia    

so, may be you can start with one of them

Re. the drivers question- well, this is not applicable for GNU/Linux. The Linux kernel found modified in all GNU/Linux distros contains its own drivers for the components. You do NOT need to install any driver afterwards (for most cases) as there are no 3rd party drivers - the distro creator provides them all for you in the kernel. In Linux, most apps should be installed from its inside package container/repositories - secure place where the distro vendor collects and places all the software for this Linux based operating system.

Please, accept my apologies, but can I ask you why do you want to run/install Linux , MacOS or something else ?

All/most/ Linux users nowadays have their own reason for switching to Linux but they all have something common.

If you are a newbies, Linux is an experiment - most people try quite a lot of distros before choosing The One.

** Note - as already written above, kindly ensure you have backed-up all the important files and software before testing **

** You may also want to test different operating system in a virtual environment (Virtual Box, VMWare, etc..) prior to real test on real HDD **

HP Recommended

@IT_WinSec wrote:

Please, accept my apologies, but can I ask you why do you want to run/install Linux , MacOS or something else ?

All/most/ Linux users nowadays have their own reason for switching to Linux but they all have something common.

If you are a newbies, Linux is an experiment - most people try quite a lot of distros before choosing The One.

** Note - as already written above, kindly ensure you have backed-up all the important files and software before testing **

** You may also want to test different operating system in a virtual environment (Virtual Box, VMWare, etc..) prior to real test on real HDD **

Thank you very much indeed,

First of all, I want to try something else as I think trying something new is good idea even in the daily life.

Also, I want to work in the compiler under linux.

HP Recommended

this is not entirely true, it is possible to install mac os on non-apple hardware, however it is difficult.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.