cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Prince3534 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade my 4g ram to 8gb ram in one memory slot. Other one is damaged.

Pavilion g6 1200tx
Linux

My Hp Pavilion g6 1200 tx did not pose any problems for 4 years. But a week ago I upgraded my RAM from 4 to 8gb. The shopkeeper inserted hynix 4gb  ddr3 ram. So that makes two rams in my loptop  :-
1. Samsung ( Came when I purchased laptop 4 years ago ) - 4gb ddr3

2. Hynix 4b ddr3

After a week my laptop stoped working. Showing it two service center they said one of my memory slot is damaged and can't be used. 

So now I had only one memory slot active with 4gb ram inside it. My Question  is :-
1. CAN I INSERT 8GB RAM IN ONE MEMORY SLOT (SINCE OTHER ONE IS DAMAGED)  OF MY PAVILION G6 1200 TX MOTHERBOARD . 

If yes then please tell me :-

1. Of what type of ram should I be looking for ( Sepecification )
2. From where should I buy . Crucial got 4gb * 2 ram which I can't use

Please reply ASAP.

Thanks & Regards

Prince Soni

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
75546 75431 9237 19916
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can't put 8GB in one slot and it does not support 8GB (in 2 slots 4*2) that may explain why "Other one is damaged". Please only follow the book. Must be some reasons behind the 6GB max as mentioned on page 3:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02968997.pdf

(Second manual of the following link):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5145704/model/5163239/manuals

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
Prince3534 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Banhein, then why does this link points out 8gb ram :-

1)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC-series/5145704/model/5163239/document...

See value under Memory Max. 

Note : This page is obtained from the same url you had sent to me and it's from HP's official website.

2)

Please tell me is it ok if I can insert 6gb in one memory slot. Would it work correctly.  Currently it has 4gb ram.

3) 

Since the problem occured because of HP  due to wrong information is mentioned by them would they consider repairing my laptop without any cost. Even in the user guide they sent with my laptop,  8 gb is mentioned.

Thanks for your reply Banhein. I will be waiting for your reply 🙂 

Thanks & Regards
Prince Soni

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation