cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Can an External HDD be used in place of an internal one?

HP Recommended
Pretty straightforward question I guess. My HDD is giving me blue screen of death every day or so, doing a power dump and then going back for more. Getting pretty sick of not being able to run anything, and wanted to get a 1TB external HDD to replace it. Just not sure if the laptop will run from an external HDD or not. Anyone got any answers OR better yet a solution to my blue screen of death issue aside from replacing the drive? Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First, how do you know the HDD is the cause?  What exactly is the error message and stop code on the BSOD?

Why now buy an external to replace it when you can just get the internal drive instead, and less expensively?  Granted it wouldn't be a 1 TB internal, but with the cost difference you could largely pay for a smaller external drive too and have both which is very handy for making backups.

You wrote "the laptop".  What laptop, make, model, etc?  Can it boot USB devices as-in you have confirmed the feature works on any USB drive (even a flash thumbdrive would be a start, an indication of a certain level of USB boot ability)?  If the system has USB boot ability, it should boot any properly designed external drive, but whether the OS can run from that depends on how it is designed.  Windows XP for example cannot normally run from an external drive.  There are lengthly trial and error ways to hack it to work but not "out of the box" so to speak, not without modifying the standard installation.

The standard tests of your current drive should include the one in the system bios menu if present, and one from the HDD manufacturer (usually available via their website).  If you have a desktop system with a compatible controller (PATA or SATA depending on the drive you have) you can hook the drive up to that desktop to test it.

Generally speaking, a BSOD could be drive related but could as easily be another problem.  Attack this from both angles as mentioned above, what the bluescreen says and an independant test of the drive without the OS as the other variable because it isn't running at the time.

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
My bad. I get this error message: A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within allocated time interval. Then it does a physical memory dump. Most times I can get it back and it works for a couple of hours. I did notice that the fan doesn't seem to help it stay very cool. I did a factory restore with the disk and now it has minimal programs on it and still gives me the BSOD. It's a problem in the MoBo, isn't it? I'm hoping it's just in the RAM, but I doubt it. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation