cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mike7P
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

Can anybody tell me where i can get UK version Vista HB recovery disk for HP 2140 Netbook?

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Can anybody tell me where i can get UK version Vista HB recovery disk for HP 2140 Netbook?

My HD became corrupt and so did the recovery partition so I need to start from scratch.

I don't seem to be able to get help direct from HP as all email requests go through to the USA and they can't help me.

I hope some one out there can help please!

Many thanks

Mike7P

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,316 119,493 19,523 29,837
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Mike7P:

Call this number and tell the customer services rep you need a set of recovery disks for your Mini.

0845 161 0030

You will need to provide the model number and serial number.

They should be free of charge in the UK.

Paul

0 Kudos
Mike7P
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul I'll do that.

I've spent about 2 hours this afternoon on HP's website trying to find a number to contact them on, but it must be one of the most annoying sites I've been on! I just seemed to either come back to where I started, worst still led up a dead end.

I'll post if I have any luck.

Thanks again, you've probably saved my sanity!

regards

Mike7P

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
Mike7P
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying Paul, but I've got to say I'm even less impressed with their telephone support, than I was with their website.

When I rang the number you gave me I was told to ring a different number, who in turn sent me back to the first one. They again insisted they were not the ones I needed and passed me onto another number. That call was answered by another auto system that started by saying calls were charged @ 5p +VAT/Min.I then listened to muzak for 5 mins with the usual occasional break whilst they told me "how important my call was to them!" When i finally did get a human being he wouldn't even tell me if there was a disk available unless I paid £15 +VAT, he did tell me that it would be a further £40+VAT if there was one.

I've decided to go to my PC shop and get an OEM disk for less money.

Not sure I'll be buying HP next time!

Thanks again for trying

Regards

Mike7P

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow!

Sorry you got such a runaround. I thought that was a business notebook.

That is what the website directed me to.

If you know your product number which is on the same sticker as the serial number, you can order a set of recovery disks at the link below by entering your applicable product number.

http://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_landing

Plus I just found out yesterday, if you can read your 25 character MS product key, you can make your own Windows Vista installation disk.  Just download the 3 files you need at the link below, and read all of the instructions to create a bootable DVD installation disk using imageburn.

It was not that hard to do. I burned both the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk in case I ever need them.

I tested both of them (just short of going ahead with the actual install) and they appeared to work perfectly.

Apparently when you enter the product key, it knows what version of Vista you have.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vi...

After you successfully install vista, you can download the drivers you need from your notebook's support and driver page.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3872996&lang=en&cc=us...

Best regards,

Paul

Mike7P
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're right it is a business one but they really didn't want to know.

Thanks for the other suggestion and the links, I'll get on and try that this weekend, and will let you know the outcome. I really do appreciate the time you've put in thanks.

Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime, Mike.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Mike7P
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I'm a Happy Bunny! Thanks to your generous efforts I now have one fully restored HP Netbook.

Many thanks for guiding me through it.

That is what is so wonderful about the internet, you are never far away from somebody willing to help.Long may it remain this way.

Thanks again

Mike7P

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mike7P

Glad to have been of assistance.

Best regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation