cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AC47
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Can my hard drive be removed and data saved.

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if my hard drive data can be saved from my Pavilion that is currently displaying this message.

BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND.

PLEASE INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM ON YOUR HARD DISK.

HARD DISK  (3FO)

I never reached the end of the month when I normally back up my files and the photo's from Christmas Day are among others i want to save.

Previous laptops i'be taken the drive out and inserted it into a carrier and all has been well but i've never experienced this error message before.

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers

AC47

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
11,200 11,140 2,205 4,490
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are various possible causes for the bootmgr being corrupted. One is that the harddrive is broken.However you can remove and attach to different Pc and see if it works. If the hard disk is still working you can recover all the files.

Do you have a bootable copy of windows 10? If not you can download the media tool and create a bootable usb pendrive on a different computer, make sure to download the same edition you have on the computer at the moment. (When asked mark create to install on another PC.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Now you can boot from this pendrive (changing the bootorder in bios) and instead of installing choose the option to repair this Pc and try the automatic startup repair.

If the hard disk no longer works you can change it for a new one and fresh install win10 wit the pen drive.

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

AC47
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks very much David,I shall try the pendrive option at the weekend when I return home.
0 Kudos
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No problem,

If you need any further help with the repair or installation, let me know,

David

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,557 30,464 2,785 6,729
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AC47

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that error message means that your hard drive has failed.

It will need to be replaced.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the hard drive from the PC
2) Purchase a USB-to-Hard Driver adapter kit
3) Download and install this utility on a working PC: http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
4) Connect the old drive to the working PC
5) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tools does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the trial version is free: http://www.file-recovery.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I believe that it is not always the case that the harddrive is broken, there could be loose connections or boot sector errors or other problems. In some cases i have seen that even with this error the hard disk passes the hp disk drive diagnostic tests. 

Furthermore,  if the disk can be attached externally by usb or internally by sata on another PC and it is recognized and works, there is no need for recovery programs since the files are not deleted or inaccessible. And if the hard disk does not work it will also not work with programs such as Recuva or other recovery programs.

David

0 Kudos
iomare
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just ckecking in to see if you resolved the issue and how it was resolved.

David

Italy

Click on answer if it resolved your problem so others can find solution

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation