Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mattierae Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can't Access BIOS // Windows 10 // Pavilion Entertainment dv4

Pavilion Entertainment dv4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to enter the BIOS menu but I can't seem to find it anywhere. On startup I don't see a message saying what key to press, all I see is the HP logo before it goes right into Windows 10 startup. I've tried pressing ESC, F1, F8, and F10 as other people have said to do. I've tried going through recovery options in the OS but I don't see an option to access the UEFI. I've tried taking out the battery, unplugging, and holding the power button for 30 seconds. I also saw somewhere to remove the RTC battery then put it back but I can't seem to find the RTC battery.

The only thing which seems to do anything is holding down the ESC key during startup, but all that does is make the laptop emit a loud beeping sound. Once I've stopped holding the key the sounds goes on for ten or so more seconds then stops, after which it goes into normal Windows 10 startup. Like I said, just pressing ESC didn't do anything, only when I held it down.

I am not aware of any BIOS updates or hardware upgrades, but the laptop was originally owned by someone else so they may have done something (although they're not terribly computer-savvy people). The laptop is a few years old.

I've been searching for an hour for this and any help would be greatly appreciated! The laptop works fine, I just need to change a setting.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Shawngrove20 Tutor
Tutor
10 1 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spoiler

1. Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
  2. Select Update and Security.
  3. Click Recovery.
  4. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.
  5. Select Troubleshoot.
  6. Choose Advanced options.
  7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
  8. Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).

This may possible help you

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
mattierae Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I said above, I've tried this. I can't find a UEFI Firmware Settings option anywhere.

0 Kudos
Anadi Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem, unable to to find UEFI Firmware Settings Nor able to reach BIOS.

Await prompt attentin, thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation