Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ax1um Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Can't Get Past Manufacturer Boot Screen

I cant get my g62-149wm to get past the HP screen. I've tried hitting escape to go into boot options and f10 to get into the BIOS but nothing happens. It's locked there. Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4408 4390 446 737
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

It might be a bad hard drive or any other device like memory modules etc. I suggest to remove the hard drive and boot up without it. If you can get over the HP logo screen so the problem is your hard drive. If it freezes again, try remove memory modules, just one a time. Some device is faulty and you have to find out which one..

I had the same problem few weeks ago and it was the hard drive..

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch
HP ProBook 640 G1 Hackintosh Mojave 10.14.4
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
ax1um Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Well, it seems like that is the problem. I unplugged the HDD and it got past the HP splash screen. Now I have a "No bootable device detected" error, but that's to be expected. I think my own eccentricities got me into this mess. I think the format of my harddrive got changed to something else. Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4408 4390 446 737
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Do it like me. I had to buy a SATA docking station, then boot on to a live usb Sabayon linux(without the internal hdd present) and back up all data to my external hard drive. After the back up I just formatted the internal hdd and used recovery dvds to restore the factory settings.

You can also do a fresh install or whatever you want because the laptop should be bootable with the hdd in it. I don't have any other pcs to do a back up so had to use that usb flash drive or live cd(needs any usb flash plugged in) with linux on it.

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch
HP ProBook 640 G1 Hackintosh Mojave 10.14.4
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
ax1um Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I think I got it. I bought a cradle, put the hdd in it and accessed it from our vista machine. Turns out I didn't partition it right (thanks weird win7 disk management!) All my stuff is gone from the drive, but luckily it's backed up to carbonite. The drive was somehow changed to fat32, so I opened up the dos box and typed format I: /fs:NTFS and formatted it to the correct filetype. Thanks for the tip pepe, i didn't even think about doing that.

0 Kudos
Kingropes Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I had the same problem, and have discovered there is nothing wrong with the hard drive.

Use an old plug in keyboard, if you have a wireless keyboard/mouse....as the wireless is not recognized by the operating system until the welcome screen.

Plug the keyboard in the rear of the tower, and start your PC as usuall, and start pressing the F8 button repeatedly until the option to boot into safe mode comes on. Move the cursor up to safe mode, and click on it.

As soon as the normal safe mode screen appears, go to my computer, and click on the (C) drive and right click on properties. Go to tools, and click "Check Now" in the error checking, and select both boxes under the Check Disk options. Click the Start button and you will be prompted to restart the Check Disk utility upon restarting of the PC to enable the utility. Click the OK, button.

Now go down and click the start button, and then click the restart button to restart your PC.

The PC will start as normal, and before the welcome screen appears, it will go into the Check Disc mode. Pay attention to the utility screen...will display what it is doing, and what it is repairing.

After the utility is finished, restart your PC again.

Hope this helps anybody with the same dilemma.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation