Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 15 (12,966 Views)

Can't open the case on my laptop Pavilion G7 to upgrade RAM

Hi there

I've just bought an HP laptop on the basis that I can upgrade the RAM. however, when I try to open the compartment on the bottom it is stuck. The two screws do not come out at all :(

How in the heck do you get the screws out and the compartment open to put the RAM in.

My HP details are as follows:

Pavilion G7-1342EF

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 15 (12,961 Views)

Re: Can't open the case on my laptop Pavilion G7 to upgrade RAM

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02834058/c02834058.pdf

The procedure to remove and replace the memory modules can be found in chapter 4 starting on page 54.

Maybe your missing a step or two.  Did you know you need to remove the optical drive, for example?

Paul

Honor Student
Message 3 of 15 (12,959 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

So far, I have done this:

1) Removed the battery.

2) Discharged any electricity from the laptop.

3) Taken a Philips screwdriver and undone both screws on the back.

It is at this stage that things are not going as they should. The screws do not fully come out of the panel. I can't get them out either without the potential of breaking the laptop.

Does the CD/ DVD drive have to be ejected at any point for the panel to be able to come out?

Provost
Message 4 of 15 (12,958 Views)

Hi:

The manual states to remove the optical drive, and gives you the link to that procedure.  I would just read that procedure and do what it says.

There are some notebooks where the screws don't come completely out of the panel. As long as they have been unthreaded from the other section, then that is all you need to do.

Paul

Honor Student
Message 5 of 15 (12,955 Views)

Read the procedure. Just tried again with the drive out and neither the screws or the plate will budge!

Feeling a little deceived as from what I have seen it is supposed to be easy. Evidently, this is not the case.

Provost
Message 6 of 15 (12,954 Views)

Hi:

I just read the procedure too.

How could you remove the drive without removing the service cover?

There is a screw under the service cover that you have to remove to take the DVD drive out of the PC.

When I look at the diagrams and read the service cover removal, it states to loosen the 2 screws, not remove them.

Also, take a look at the top edges of that service cover in the diagram.

It looks to me that there are small tabs that lip under the bottom of the case.

That would indicate to me that you can't just lift the thing up, but you kind of have to flex (bow) it gently so the tabs come out from under the case, and then you can lift the cover up and out.

At least that is how I see it.

Paul

Honor Student
Message 7 of 15 (12,951 Views)

I loosen the screws and try lifting the cover. It will not budge at all! I did manage to get a tab out but I'm damned if I'm going to try and push it further. It feels like it would break quite easily.

There is no way that it can be done gently either.

Sorry but I feel very disappointed by my experience of HP. 

Provost
Message 8 of 15 (12,932 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You may find the last response to this post helpful...and encouraging.

You may want to summon up the courage to give it another try.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/How-to-remove-cover-over-RAM-compartment...

Paul

Intern
Message 9 of 15 (12,926 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was going to pass this thru, but that was 2 hours ago before I looked around for better search tips.

The problem here (stubborn service cover) is typical of many: several related posts but it's hard to find them.

Do you have any tips on search or linking related posts?  I feel like I'm doing it the hard way.  I looked under Forum Welcome but didn't find much. 

:smileysad: Example: If you're in the 'First Time Here' board, and enter 'how to search' in the Ask-A-Question box, it shows "No one has asked this question", even though the second post on this board is 'How to search for an answer'.  So sad

Larry

Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
Provost
Message 10 of 15 (12,917 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Larry:

The reason I was able to post the other link to this one so quickly, is because I received an e-mail when the OP replied to your question about did you ever get the cover off. That is because I had posted a reply to his question early on.

When I read his reply, since I had recently replied to this link, I could easily scroll down my posts yesterday, dig this one up and posted the link.

Had he replied a month later or something, I would have been in the same boat as you.

What I do to refine a search is to enter some words in the main notebook seach box for example...I would have queried G7 case or G7 memory, and hope the one I was looking for showed up.

FWIW, it is too bad that this silly cover is so hard to remove. I would have been very upset too, if I couldn't get the cover off to do a simple install of memory. I would also have been reluctant about trying to force the cover off.

Apparently, you have to be a risk-taker, and just go for it.

I know my luck, I would have busted the cover in two.

I don't like working on notebooks, even when the parts come off effortlessly.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation