Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
crawlerl Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

Can't recover from partition after installing a new OS

I recently bought a G62-a31so notebook and it came with windows 7 x64, right from the start it couldn't start most programs, they would simply crash, I got the idea that I would install windows vista on it, which has worked well with my previous PCs, I considered creating recovery disks beforehand, but I couldn't be bothered when I found out it required 4! dvd-s and it says in your manual that I can recover my system at any time from the partition. So I formatted the partition that had windows 7 on it before and installed vista on it, then I found out that you have no vista drivers for this notebook, I tried to regain status quo by recovering from the partition, pressed esc on startup and then f11 in the startup menu, but it simply booted vista.

I would like to know how I could restore my system to factory settings now?

15 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2317 176 719
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

After changing the OS, access to Recovery partition will be lost...At this moment, the only way out would be to contact HP support to get a recovery disk...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43179 3178 13305
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

You can try this,which works for many (not all) people>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
crawlerl Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

It worked, Cheryl, you are awesome, [text removed]

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2317 176 719
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

Point taken! :)

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
0 Kudos
dritank Top Student
Top Student
7 0 1
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

Hello to everyone, I want to return my laptop in the factory settings.

I tried to do it by your method "

3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11)..."

Nothing happened...

I really don`t know what to do

dritank Top Student
Top Student
7 0 1
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

Can Someone help me out withe previous post?

I can`t see the recovery D hard drive no more, aslo hp tools is not too, all I can see is my system C and nothing else.In disk management can`t see it...

All I want to do is to restore it to original factory settings...

I really need help

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43179 3178 13305
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

@dritank

If you don't have the Recovery partition, you need to phone HP and order a Recovery Media set.Usually less than $20. Click here>>Contact HP

0 Kudos
herbwx Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

You can try this,which works for many (not all) people>>

5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

=============

I have Win 7, 64-bit Pavillion g6 laptop --

A slightly different question on using the above steps:  I tried to make a recovery disk using HP Recovery Media Creation. But when I go to make the recovery disc,  I get prompted "Recovery partition has been removed. The Recovery Media Creation option is no longer available".

Will the above steps allow me to create a recovery CD when I reboot without taking my computer back to the factory settings and wiping out my data?  Or, put another way:  Will the above steps reactivate the HP Recovery Media Creation "tool", or must I just surrender and call HP and order a recovery disk?  Everything I've read says once the recovery partition has been removed, you can't undo that w/out ordering a recovery CD from HP.

The other confusing thing is in Windows Explorer view I do see a D:-drive labelled RECOVERY.  So, what do I (and don't I) have available in terms of "recover-ability" ?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43179 3178 13305
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post

Solved!

@herbxw

If the files have been removed from the Recovery partition it is not going to boot even if set to Active. IF it did boot it would restore your laptop back to factory settings. Order the disks from HP, and get a backup plan in place for when you have to use them. I use an external usb hard drive for backup.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation