cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you use the HP Recovery Media Creation Tool after the C Drive has been partitioned?

HP Pavilion ab516TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I purchased an HP Pavilion ab516TX a few days ago.

I just went through the instruction guide for the HP Recovery Media Creation Tool. The guide recommends that the recovery media be created soon after purchasing your laptop.

The thing is, I have already partitioned the "C" Drive to create one more drive. I haven't touched the Recovery Drive ("D" Drive), though.

Now, my question is this: Does the partitioning of the C Drive mean that I will not be able to create a recovery media? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Please note that the guide only mentions that the "D" Drive should not be modified in any way; it says nothing about the "C" Drive.

If the partitioning is a problem here, will it help to revert to the original disk configuration by simply merging this new drive with the "C" Drive?  

I would be really grateful if anyone could suggest the recommeded course of action at this point, especially considering that the recovery media can be created only once.

Best wishes,

Ashari

PS: Here's the link to the instruction guide: http://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c03481733. Note that this guide is meant for Windows 8 laptops. I couldn't find a similar guide for Windows 10. Is there a separate guide for Windows 10?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,629 20,574 1,891 4,535
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you use the HP Recovery Media Creation Tool after the C Drive has been partitioned?

Ashari

If you DID create recovery media using the HP tool, and if you DID use it, and it worked -- the first thing it does is completely reformat your hard drive, restoring the parition layout to the original scheme.  This would basically erase everything you have done.

If you want recovery media for the current state of the PC, I recommend a third-party product known as Macrium  Reflect.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
40 40 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think it's OK to create a recovery media using Hp recovery media creation tool from current situation. The only difference is that once you have a system restore from this media in the furture, the restored C partition is the one what it displays now but not the one before a new partition created from it. Anyhow, there is nothing influence the system.

And, in case it fails, you can use a third party tool, like AOMEI OneKey Recovery to create a recovery media.

Or, if you want to try merge the new partition back to C partition, use "Extend Volume" feature in Disk Management or "Merge Partitions" feature in AOMEI Partition Assistant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,688 38,145 3,345 14,060
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure if HP Recovery Manager is any smarter in Windows 10 version than past vesrions. In earlier versions- yes an extra partition has tripped it up. I guess it is confused by the partitions not being as expected and can't find the Recovery partition to draw the files from. No harm in trying it I guess- it shoud just give you a error message and allow you to close out. You could then merge the partition as suggested above and try to create it again.

As suggested also-Macrium Reflect Free is a good software that I use. It will restore the hdd with any personal files, programs,etc where Recovery Media returns the hdd to Factory. Personally I like to use both.

https://youtu.be/KQA7NlLvxg8

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec Backing up your Windows and data is very important, so in this video we will take a look at Macrium Reflec...
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation