Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ChappyR88 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot Boot from Hard Disk

Pavilian G6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

My friend has the same laptop as me and needed to replace his hard drive which would no longer boot. I bought him a new Hard Drive and installed a copy of Windows 8.1 on it.

Now, when he first give it to me and I started the Notebook; the Diagnostics would come on saying to install windows on the hard drive. I had to to go into F10 BIOS settings and ask it to boot from my USB with 8.1 on it - and it did! Now i've installed 8.1 on the new hard drive, the Diagnostics still come up and and I have to do something tedious to get it to boot from the hard drive because I don't see HARD DRIVE in the UEFI boot list.

I enable legacy mode and put Hard Drive to the top of the boot order then press F10 to save and exit. It asks me to enter some code in to verify the changes. I click ESC to unverify my changes and it boots from the Hard Drive.

How can I make it boot from my Hard Drive automatically? Will I need to install the HP UEFI Support Environment?

Many thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
44529 44265 3320 13909
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried entering the code to verify that you want the change? That should enable booting from hdd without prompts.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
233 232 17 60
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Boot to F9 while start up and change the boot order. 

Apply bios defauls once

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
0 Kudos
ChappyR88 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

Yes I eventually did that. Ideally I would like it to boot from the defaults settings like the old HD did. I don't get the HP logo anymore I just get the W8 logo. Obviously I didn't contact HP to get them to replace the HD with their Firmware pre installed.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
233 232 17 60
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

just update the bios once, and even do a bios defaults.

this should resolve the issue

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
ChappyR88 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Selecting BIOS defaults does not work. The only way to boot from my new HD with my own copy of 8.1 is to enable LEgacy Boot. I've instlled the BIOS Firmware Env so I will see if that has resolved my situation shortly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Grad Student
233 232 17 60
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation