cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Cannot Connect to my Home WiFi Network

HP Recommended
HP 15-r036tu Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

OS = Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing [64 bit]

WiFi Adapter = Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

Driver Date = 26-06-2013

Driver Version = 5.0.26.26

Okay before I start this might be worth mentioning that I had issues with the Ralink WiFi adapter earlier - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-15-r036tu-Notebook-PC-WiFi-Keeps-Fo... as per the mentioned steps that problem was solved.

However recently one fine day when I turned on my Notebook I found a blue screen with a text written.. all I remember was there was some issue with rtbth.sys after that I found my notebook unable to connect to my home wifi network and showed "No Network Available". I tried troubleshooting but that also couldn't help because I do not have an ethernet cable 😛

So now it shows gray bars with an asterix symbol on top when I click on it, I see a list of available wifi networks but my home network doesn't show up! Even if it shows for like 2-3 seconds it shows 1 bar network strength which shouldn't at all be the case because my tablet and mobile is running at full strength from the same room at full strength.

Need Help! Maybe some steps or some software that can properly diagnose the situation and solve it.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 714 1,910
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Swayam_Das,

Thank you for your query.  

I understand that you when you powered on your notebook you saw a blue screen with some text on it. All you remember is "rtbth.sys".  You are not able to connect to your network now, but it does show other networks. 

Here is a link to HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎 that should help.   When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook, I noticed the recommended driver for your notebook's network card is version 8.24.1218.2013, which was updated on Mar. 5, 2016.  The HP Support Assistant  will aid in obtaining any recommended HP drivers.  Please let me  know the outcome.

Best of Luck!

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them.

To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's something that is happening now even before I could perform the procedure you mentioned above. The Wifi button is showing white light however the taskbar status icon is showing a red cross on the wifi symbol. When I visited the device manager settings it displayed the following error:

Windows cannot load the device driver from this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Unable to Load Device Driver}

%hs device driver could not be loaded.

Error Status was 0x%x

Does this mean that the WiFi adapter is malfunctioning? Is this a hardware issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 435
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @Swayam_Das,

Sparkles1 is not in today but I will do all I can to help.

No, I do not think it is a hardware issue. Please follow the step in link Sparkes supplies,  there are step for the drivers.

Please get back to me and I will do all I can to help.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Tardis40 and @ thanks for the suggestion. So this is what I did --

I went to http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r000-notebook-pc-series/6875200/model/7234721 and downloaded -

Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

8.24.1218.2013 18.1 MB Mar 5, 2016

as suggested by @ after installing this I couldn't find anything happening so I uninstalled the RaLink WiFi software from the Control Panel and in the taskbar the wifi bar appeared gray in color with a small red cross as indicated in the screenshot.

So I turned off the wifi button and it went red into airplane on mode and then turned it on to white airplane off mode. Then I saw the wifi bar appear with an asterix in the bottom as it shows when networks appear. When I clicked on it to pull up the list of available networks I found every other network other than my own home network. Then when I exited to the desktop it turned into the red cross as shown in the screenshot below.

device manager view.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 435
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Swayam_Das,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm not sure you download the correct driver, here is a link to download Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows 😎
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I did as you had listed above. Followed every step and after the final restart pressed the wifi gray bar with an asterix logo in the taskbar.. the list of entire wifi networks that was available sprang up 🙂 This included the entire neighbourhood as well as my own (which was at the last with just 1 signal bar.. yet it is in the same room of the router)

After staying for like 1 second the entire list vanished and it showed "No networks found" and the wifi signal turned into a red cross in the taskbar.. again after like 5 mins of staying idle the icon changed to the asterix one when I clicked again then only 5 networks came up without my own home network and then it turned red cross again.

At this point should I manually add my own wifi network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 435
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Swayam_Das,

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation