cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Catalyst crashes after upgrading to Windows 8.1 on HP Pavilion G6-2302eu

HP Recommended

After I installed Windows 8.1 Catalyst Control Center crashes every time I star the laptop. Also some video files crash WMP, VLC and Media Player Classic on opening, others play incorectly. 3d games run slowly as if running on the Intel 4000 and not on the Radeon HD 7670M, although I have prevously assigned them to the Radeon.

I  did a clean reinstall of the AMD driver from the HP page for my model. It made no difference. I removed the AMD driver and the computer ran stable, but obviously using the Intel 4000 and still unable to open certain video files. Clean reinstall of codecs didn't help.

I removed the drivers and from Device Manager updated the Display adapters (both the Intel and Radeon). Now I can play all video files correctly and games that I have already installed. However, I cannot choose which GPU to run a new 3d game. I tried installing only the Catalyst Control Center from the setup file from HP, but when I start it (either thru Graphic Properties or thru Configure Switchable Graphics) a message tells me that CCC can't start, because there is nothing to configure. When I installed the latest version of World of Warplanes the game ran very slow, as if using the Intel 4000, maybe about 3-4 FPS. I have previously installed and played this game at the same graphics setting and it ran at 20-40 FPS. Since CCC won't run I can't tell World of Warplanes to run on the Radeon.

In conclusion I'd like to say that there is obviously problem when tring to use the Windows 8 display drivers with Windows 8.1. Since I cannot install AMD drivers directly from www.amd.com I have to rely on the HP driver, which simply crashes or the driver from Device Manager, which don't let me choose which GPU to use.

EDIT: on furhter inspection, I have noticed that Skyrim, which has been on my HDD for over 6 months now runs very slowly - obviously on the Intel 4000. It was previously running fairly smoothly when switched to the Radeon GPU.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd_catalyst_13.10_mobility_beta.exe

I tried this as suggested in another thread and it seams to work perfectly. Still, it would be nice if HP would give us something of an official instructions how to deal with this problem and maybe even an official driver.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation