cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Changing BIOS in Windows with BCU

HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4730s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Started scanning my network with an inventory program called LanSweeper.

I have several HP computers where the make or model is not correct.  I know this is pulled from the BIOS, and I can go to each computer and change it....manually.

I am wondering if anyone has had luck with the command line tool from HP that is supposed to be able to change this from Windows VIA the command line?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_BCU.html

You are supposed to be able to do a GET and put the current info into a txt file.  You are then supposed to be able to edit that file and SET to make changes.

I can GET but when I try and SET, it says successful, but doesn't make the changes.

Anyone use this before?  Any luck?  Any other options?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
10,015 6,596 119 422
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@esullivan 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Future questions about BCU are best posted in the HP PC Client Management forum.

Like other forums here, it is a peer to peer forum but there are some employees with client management experience that subscribe to it and volunteer their time to answer questions when they can assist.

Regarding your current use of BCU:

BCU checks the computer before trying to change the value.

If the BIOS reports the value as read only, BCU skips this and moves on to the next.

There are a number of values that are read only.

The application does this because many people peform a /get function, change one value and then perform a /set function.

In these cases, they do not remove any information - including read only information.

This allows BCU to work without requiring extensive editing of the settings file.

If you wish to see if BCU is skipping the attempt to write the value, run it in verbose mode.

BiosConfigUtility.exe  /verbose   /set:"SettingsFile.txt"

Since you refer to "make or model" is not correct, I believe you may be referring to a read only field.

If you run BCU in verbose mode you will see information like the following regarding read only fields.

<SETTING changeStatus="warning" name="Manufacturer" reason="BCU: Setting is read-only" returnCode="19">

or

<SETTING changeStatus="skip" name="Processor Type" reason="BCU: Setting is unchanged" returnCode="18">

The message will depend upon whether you attempt to change a read only field or simply tried to write to a read only field with its original value.

If you are refering to the setting defined as "Product Name", this is set at the factory and is a read only value.

Another item of note is that setting values MUST be indented using the "Tab" character/key on the keyboard.

Spaces are not acceptable.  This requirement maintains a compatibility with BIOS'es that can read the settings file directly using F10.

The Setting Name is left justified in the file

Two examples of partial files are below.

Manufacturer
	Hewlett-Packard
Product Name
	HP ZBook 15
System Board ID
Universally Unique Identifier (UUID)
	<Removed BEFORE posting>
Processor Type
	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU
SKU Number
	F3Y80UC#ABA
Warranty Start Date
	00/00/0000
Processor Speed
	2.70GHz

Manufacturer
	Hewlett-Packard
Product Name
	HP Compaq 6730b (NA373UC#ABA)
System ID
	30DD
Processor Type
	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9600
SKU Number
	NA373UC#ABA
Warranty Start Date
Processor Speed
	2.80GHz

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I am trying to change the "Model" as it's wrong in BIOS.  Attached is a picture that was scanned and returned from WMI.  These are all dc7900's but the 4th down has DSDT_PRJ.  I cahnged one manually, but I have many and I am looking for a way to do it in a caommand line a little easier.

I ran verbose on my laptop (testing), and it did return read only.  So  I can't change this field from BCU?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
103 99 4 4
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the BIOS returns a "read only" value, BCU will not attempt to change it.

How did you change it "manually" ?

Are you referring to using F10 at boot time ?

Thanks,

Richard

I work for HP but am not a company spokesperson. Participation in the community forums is voluntary.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, at the PC in BIOS setup it can be changed in there.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation