Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elite Book 840 g1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an Elite book 840 g1. I am trying to change from RAID to AHCI and cannot get it done. I have tried everything on the web as far as registry settings and bios changes. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution for changing from RAID to AHCI on an HP EliteBook 840g1

My EliteBook 840g1 does not have an internal CD/DVD drive so I put my reimaging software on a USB and this worked great.

1. Back up your PC or important documents.

2. Put the reimaging software on CD/DVD or USB whichever one you plan on using.

3. Close all programs and restart your PC.

- Here is where it gets tricky -

4. Enter into the Bios by pressing ESC button

5. Make sure you change your boot order/ putting USB or CD/DVD first in the order - depending on what you are going to use

6. Once in the BIOS go to the 'Advanced Tab' then 'Device Configurations'

7. Scroll down to RAID/AHCI and switch to AHCI

8. Save all settings and exit.

- Here is where it gets trickier -

9. THIS IS CRITICAL - After saving and exiting the BIOS the PC will start to boot - don't let it boot - get back into the BIOS before it boots

10. Once in the BIOS go to boot options and select the option you put your reimaging software on.

11. Now boot to the USB or CD/DVD you have your reimaging software on

12. Your PC will now go through the reimaging process and when it gets done you will be in AHCI.

13. You can check this by going to 'Device Manager'>>double click 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and below that it shows 'Intel 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller'

14. This verifies you are in AHCI

15. Enjoy the improved performance

As far as changing RAID to AHCI using the registry settings I could not get this to work. I changed the Start value of several strings (msahci, istorA, istorV, etc) and could not get the change to happen. In my experience I had to reimage my PC to make the change from RAID to AHCI. If anyone has a proven solution changing from RAID to AHCI in the registry settings without having to do a reimage would they please speak up.  Thanks and I hope all this info is helpful.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Solution for changing from RAID to AHCI on an HP EliteBook 840g1

My EliteBook 840g1 does not have an internal CD/DVD drive so I put my reimaging software on a USB and this worked great.

1. Back up your PC or important documents.

2. Put the reimaging software on CD/DVD or USB whichever one you plan on using.

3. Close all programs and restart your PC.

- Here is where it gets tricky -

4. Enter into the Bios by pressing ESC button

5. Make sure you change your boot order/ putting USB or CD/DVD first in the order - depending on what you are going to use

6. Once in the BIOS go to the 'Advanced Tab' then 'Device Configurations'

7. Scroll down to RAID/AHCI and switch to AHCI

8. Save all settings and exit.

- Here is where it gets trickier -

9. THIS IS CRITICAL - After saving and exiting the BIOS the PC will start to boot - don't let it boot - get back into the BIOS before it boots

10. Once in the BIOS go to boot options and select the option you put your reimaging software on.

11. Now boot to the USB or CD/DVD you have your reimaging software on

12. Your PC will now go through the reimaging process and when it gets done you will be in AHCI.

13. You can check this by going to 'Device Manager'>>double click 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and below that it shows 'Intel 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller'

14. This verifies you are in AHCI

15. Enjoy the improved performance

As far as changing RAID to AHCI using the registry settings I could not get this to work. I changed the Start value of several strings (msahci, istorA, istorV, etc) and could not get the change to happen. In my experience I had to reimage my PC to make the change from RAID to AHCI. If anyone has a proven solution changing from RAID to AHCI in the registry settings without having to do a reimage would they please speak up.  Thanks and I hope all this info is helpful.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.