cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lamo668
Level 1
12 6 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Cleaning temporary files

HP Recommended
HP 11 Stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It says 20.8GB. Here is what happens, I click on the desktop icon, then I click on settings, then I click on system (under system it says displsy, notifications, apps, power). I click on that...I then scroll dpwn to where it says storage. I click on that. Then I click on this pc its says 25.3GB used out og 28.7GB. I then click on that and scroll down to where it says Temporary files it reads 5.17GB and has a green line under it. I click on that, then I click on Delete Temporary Files. A message appears "Are you sure you want to delete all known temporary file caches?" I click Yes i'm sure. Then another message appears" We're cleaning your temporary files. Come back in a bit to check out the results"...I do that, come back after a hour and nothing has changed. It still reads 5.17GB. Please note I do not turn off my laptop. So what is going on hereIt says 20.8GB. Here is what happens, I click on the desktop icon, then I click on settings, then I click on system (under system it says displsy, notifications, apps, power). I click on that...I then scroll dpwn to where it says storage. I click on that. Then I click on this pc its says 25.3GB used out og 28.7GB. I then click on that and scroll down to where it says Temporary files it reads 5.17GB and has a green line under it. I click on that, then I click on Delete Temporary Files. A message appears "Are you sure you want to delete all known temporary file caches?" I click Yes i'm sure. Then another message appears" We're cleaning your temporary files. Come back in a bit to check out the results"...I do that, come back after a hour and nothing has changed. It still reads 5.17GB. Please note I do not turn off my laptop. So what is going on hereIt says 20.8GB. Here is what happens, I click on the desktop icon, then I click on settings, then I click on system (under system it says displsy, notifications, apps, power). I click on that...I then scroll dpwn to where it says storage. I click on that. Then I click on this pc its says 25.3GB used out og 28.7GB. I then click on that and scroll down to where it says Temporary files it reads 5.17GB and has a green line under it. I click on that, then I click on Delete Temporary Files. A message appears "Are you sure you want to delete all known temporary file caches?" I click Yes i'm sure. Then another message appears" We're cleaning your temporary files. Come back in a bit to check out the results"...I do that, come back after a hour and nothing has changed. It still reads 5.17GB. Please note I do not turn off my laptop. So what is going on hereIt says 20.8GB. Here is what happens, I click on the desktop icon, then I click on settings, then I click on system (under system it says displsy, notifications, apps, power). I click on that...I then scroll dpwn to where it says storage. I click on that. Then I click on this pc its says 25.3GB used out og 28.7GB. I then click on that and scroll down to where it says Temporary files it reads 5.17GB and has a green line under it. I click on that, then I click on Delete Temporary Files. A message appears "Are you sure you want to delete all known temporary file caches?" I click Yes i'm sure. Then another message appears" We're cleaning your temporary files. Come back in a bit to check out the results"...I do that, come back after a hour and nothing has changed. It still reads 5.17GB. Please note I do not turn off my laptop. So what is going on hereIt says 20.8GB. Here is what happens, I click on the desktop icon, then I click on settings, then I click on system (under system it says displsy, notifications, apps, power). I click on that...I then scroll dpwn to where it says storage. I click on that. Then I click on this pc its says 25.3GB used out og 28.7GB. I then click on that and scroll down to where it says Temporary files it reads 5.17GB and has a green line under it. I click on that, then I click on Delete Temporary Files. A message appears "Are you sure you want to delete all known temporary file caches?" I click Yes i'm sure. Then another message appears" We're cleaning your temporary files. Come back in a bit to check out the results"...I do that, come back after a hour and nothing has changed. It still reads 5.17GB. Please note I do not turn off my laptop. So what is going on here

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @lamo668,

Thank you for your query.

I understand you are experiencing an issue deleting your temp folders. After selecting Delete Temporary files  you get the message" are you sure you want to delete"and you select yes,  another message appears saying "We're cleaning your temporary files come back in a bit and check out the results"

When you come back nothing has changed.

Would you try this step:

• In the search bar lower left corner type %temp% and press enter.
  • Open the temp file folder.
  • Press Ctrl + A to select all
  • Press the delete key on the keyboard.
  • Any files in use will not be deleted as they are in use.  Just skip those.
  • Restart your notebook and check to verify the results.

Although you are not getting low disk space errors this document will assist you with freeing up space. HP PCs - Resolving Low Disk Space Errors (Windows 10, Windows 😎.

Please let me know the outcome.

Happy Holidays!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation