cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rossbabcock
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cogeco security service will not install after upgrade to Win 10 on HP Mini 311-1033CA netbook

HP Mini 311-1033CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have just upgraded to Win 10 and tried to install Cogeco Security Service (my internet provider is Cogeco.ca) but the install failed. Cogeco support said the problem is with Win 10. Can you help?

Cogeco security service is provided by F-Secure. It will download and install creating a file in C:Program files but does not intall the desktop icon to start the program. In Win 7, an application in the cogeco secuity service folder called "Trigger" is linked to the desktop icon and starts the program. Double clicking "Trigger" in the Cogeco Security Service file on my HP Mini does nothing.

Can you help?

Thanks

Ross Babcock

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
New member OdinSon
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cogeco security service will not install after upgrade to Win 10 on HP Mini 311-1033CA netbook

Hello,

Please verify that you are running version 12.x or higher of the F-Secure software. If you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 most likely the cause is you are on a previous version of the program. You may need to uninstall that version and then re-install using the current version.

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi rossbabcock,

I did some quick searching and found this interaction who says they are from Cogeco.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30123008-INTERNET-Windows-10-and-Cogeco-s-Security-Service-Package-...

It implies that it does in fact work, but they do say if you are having trouble to completly remove F-Secure and then re-install.  A person also points out that support is saying its not compatible when it is.

Take a look at the thread.  Also, I've got some info that version 12 or higher is what is compatible, so uninstalling and getting the latest version does sound like the best thing to try,

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
0 Kudos
rossbabcock
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Charles,

There was no uninstall in the cogeco security services folder that I could find and it did not show up on CCleaner Uninstall so I ended the f-secure task that was running and deleted the cogeco security folder from C:program files. I ran CCleaner registry clean and deleted the entries found.

I then logged in to my cogeco account and downloaded Cogeco security service. When I ran it, the installation failed.

How can I tell which version of Cogeco Security Service is downloading?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, okay.  Hmm, I'm not someone who usually recommends CCleaner or doing in this way to remove.  If F-Secure or any part listed under Settings, System, Apps and Features?  That is usually the uninstall location.

Here are the instructions I found on their site.

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/support/140/733/faq-internet/security-services/general-qu...

It also at the bottom has a link to a uninstall tool.  I think with the changes you made, that might be your next best step.  But, to I'm not an expert on their tools.

When I was digging I also found this on the F-Secure site that does say for F-Secure Microsoft recently blocked install on Sept 30th.  They say they are working on it.

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-SAFE-Internet-Security/td-p/75210

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
0 Kudos
rossbabcock
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Charles,

Your last post covers what I am experiencing.

Thanks,

Ross

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation