cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
akailiajade
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq CQ60-615DX Notebook and Windows 8.1

Compaq CQ60-615DX Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an old Compaq Notebook that I am trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro on. I bought a separate, licensed copy of 8.1 to use for this laptop. I reset the old Notebook to the factory settings to get all the old junk off it. However, when I try to install 8.1, I get a message that it cannot install the product.  However, it does not tell me WHY? So I don't know where to begin to troubleshoot.

The old Compaq is currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  If any of you lovely Microsoft/HP  scholars can help me figure out why I cannot install 8.1 and better yet, how to get around this problem.  I'd be grateful.

Thanks! 

Karen

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 2
31 28 0 4
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey akailiajade,

You might want to create a bootable USB with a windows 8.1 pro ISO and boot it with the USB.

After it is installed you can activate it with your purchased 8.1 pro key?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am not sure if you are able to upgrade7 home premium to 8.1 pro without a clean install.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
akailiajade
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay. I'll try it that way.  Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation