Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Compaq CQ62-209WM was working great until a couple of weks ago.  When I turned it on the screen stayed black, the caps lock light blinks once every 5 seconds, and the wifi light stays orange.  Read on this forum of others with similar problems.I tried a hard reset and it worked the first time, long enough for me to back up the important stuff on my hard drive, but did not work the second time (or any time I have tried it since then).

One blink indicates CPU failure so I ordered a new CPU and thermal material, dismanteled the unit and replaced the CPU and thermal material this evening. Still have black screen and blinking lights - still one blink every 5 seconds. Tried hard reset, no change.

Any suggestions? Not able to replace computer at this time - willing to try almost anything.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @micwtx

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your Compaq Presario CQ62-209WM Notebook and issues with the flashing lights and not starting correctly. Here is a link to computer does not start. It has the LED blinking codes and suggests that it could be your System Board.

Have you tried to reseat the memory and HDD? (it is in the document)

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues. Plug the power adapter directly into a functioning wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I used the link you provided and read everything on it.  The blink code I have is one blink every 5 seconds, and that indicates CPU failure not system board failure (according to the list in the article you sent).

I have done a hard reset (worked one time but not since then),replaced the CPU, and have reseated the memory and HDD.

Is there anything else you can suggest?  Do you think I need to replace the system board? Would it solve my problem?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey @micwtx

Have you reseated the memory? I would take the unit to a repair facility to be tested. That way you know for sure.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yes I have reseated the memory at least 3 different times.  I will have to look for a repair facility to check the unit, but i believe I may have to replacethe motherboard. I will let you all know what happens.

HP Recommended
Hi there

The blinking and not booting issue is really not a problem but just needs to know how to convert it back to normal.
You will do a mistake then it happens.
If you need help let me know.
Thanks
HP Recommended

Yes I still need help with this issue. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Take the screen apart and check that both of the ribbion cables are plugged in, if there not then reatach it. I had a similar problem with mine and now my screen works. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.