cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
hp.com Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario C700 laptop crashes all the time when I play video

It has been happening for more than a year now. sometimes after I played streaming video on web browser for a few minutes the laptop would completely freezes, no response to keyboard, mouse, touchpad, crtl-al-del etc...

I suspect this is an intel graphic card problem because this only happens when i am playing videos with browser or any kind of media player

This is totally frustrating. I never had a laptop that freezes all the time when i play videos. 

I even changed RAM sticks( took out  3 gig and put 2 gig ram in... etc) and it didnt make any difference

I am update on all system drivers etc...(HP update and windows update all up to date)

I even looked into  Vista event viewer and it did not record any info about the freezes (I suspect it cannot because the only way for me to unfreeze the laptop is to shut it down by holding the power button)

This is very frustrating. I never had a laptop this bad. Just for your info I never changed the operating system since I bought it( still windows vista home premium sp1)

please help!!!!!!!!!

couple more things:

Ieven rolled back the intel graphics driver to previous versons. didnt help.

I also  uninstalled the default video codecs. still freezes

Message Edited by hp.com on 05-07-2009 10:32 PM
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
hp.com Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

sadly it appears nobody even bothers to try to figure this out.

the fact that a laptop randomly freezes in the middle of playing a video or something else is totally disappointing and troubling. I have been using PCs ever since MSDOS 20 years ago and never had a PC that freezes so frequently and renders even ctrl-alt-del dead.  Maybe it is time to dump HP and go with a Macbook.

the quality of HP notebooks is just disapponting.

0 Kudos
Jeremytorman Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I just read this today. I have this computer c751nr to be exact- I was having this problem for quite some time. Web videos freeze, whole computer freezes,- only on web video. Well here is the problem, and I am not sure you can point the finger at HP. Flash. Flash video is the problem, it was eating so much ram, using so much power, and working the cpu to an overheat. I think the cpu was overheating because its really hot when you take the ram cover off the bottom, plus ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work. I don't know of anything outside of a processor overheat/shutdown that will freeze everything like that, and or kill the power right away. The solution that i used and it did seem to help a great deal was to put my notebook on 4, 1 inch blocks in the corners so it could cool underneath as well as made sure there is nothing obstructing the air vent on the left. Well I am down to 2, 1/4 inch risers in the back and as long as I leave the air vent completely unobstructed  it never shots of anymore. and I don't even worry about lifting the back unless I am watching web videos/flash for more than a half hour or so first. Sometimes I forget, and it starts glitching so I lift the back up, set it on some blocks to cool down, move it away from the part of my desk the air vent was blowing on, cruise the web on other stuff, within about 10 minutes it cools back down, and I go back to watching web video or whatever- Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation