Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BlueLeaf Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop Key

Compaq Presario CQ57
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, my laptop key fell off the keyboard, and I cannot figure out how to pop it back in. Everything looks to be in working condition, and even the white plastic components have remained on the keyboard. Unfortunately, every single time I press down on the black key, it never actually clicks on.  I've come to the conclusion that there must be some unique process to re-adjusting a key on this notebook. I've searched around on keyboard websites, but their guides do not seem to directly address my situation. They usually end with just pressing down on the key, which does not work for my specific notebook, it'd seem. I'd appreciate any advice.

12 REPLIES
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
233 17 60
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post

Hello dear,

once the the key is popped out the complete keyboard needs replacement. 

So contact HP and tel them to replace the keyboard for you

#hpexpertday

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
0 Kudos
BlueLeaf Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post

Whoa, for one key? But everything looks in good condition; I don't actually see any damage. It just looks to have slipped off. The issue is getting it back on. There's no way?

0 Kudos
Grad Student
233 17 60
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post

Nope there is no other way or solution,

complete keyboard needs to be replaced. Sorry but thats the fact

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
BlueLeaf Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post

Wow, that's something else. How come? There's no way of hooking it back to the white components? I've seen that in other notebooks you can take the white parts out.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
233 17 60
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post

That's  how HP laptops are designed, we cannot just  stick one key that's popped out

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
BlueLeaf Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post

That's shocking; isn't a laptop key slipping off a keyboard a common occurrence? Won't customers be upset?

0 Kudos
Grad Student
233 17 60
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post

I yeah so only we replace the new keyboard

Regards;
Smiley
I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
97005 13140 20371
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post

Hi:

If none of the parts are broken, you can replace the key.

This link has a video for how to do it...

http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/compaq-presario-cq57-series-replacement-laptop-keys/

If the parts are broken you can order replacement keys from various non-HP vendors.

0 Kudos
BlueLeaf Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post

But why would I need to replace the key, if nothing is broken? I'd essentially receive the same components I have now, so I'd have the same problem either way. The issue is getting the top part (the actual black semicolon/colon key) on. The rest is intact. It seems to be a matter of finding the proper way to make the top, black cover part "click" on. For some reason, however, it won't automatically do it when I press down. That's what's confusing me. Perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly, but I don't think I need to purchase new items.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation