cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ61 shows only black screen, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock are blinking constantly

Presario CQ61
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A couple days ago I was on my laptop, and the screen went blank, and pressing any key did nothing. So I pressed the power button until laptop turned off.

Then I pressed the power button to turn laptop back on. I heard the cd/dvd drive spin, and the fan spin, but all i got was a black screen, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock lights kept blinking. The Num and Caps lights continue to blink, with a couple second pause between blinks, but they never stop blinking as I read they should to show a code by number of blinks. They just keep blinking until I turn the laptop off.

I bought the laptop in 2010. Do you think the CMOS battery is old? If I have to replace the CMOS battery, will it erase all my files, programs, pictures, etc? Should I try to blast dust out of the fan cooling vents?

Please help.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ61 shows only black screen, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock are blinking constantly

Hello @Ralpheo,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your Compaq Presario CQ61 displays a black screen and is not booting. I am happy to help you resolve this issue. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in these documents:

1. HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

2. HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

3. HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 😎

If the document did not help you resolve the issue, try restoring the BIOS and then check for Windows updates. For more specific information please provide your product model using this link find my product.

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation