cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Annetta
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

Compaq Presario CQ62 Freezing at random times

HP Recommended

This laptop is less than 6 mos old and it has begun freezing at random times and the only thing I can do is power it down. Nothing responds, not the mouse, the touchpad, keys, nothing. I can't even open Task Manager. I'm running Windows 7  and I'm about ready to tear my hair out.

I've run AVG, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Chkdsk, and nothing shows up. But it still freezes. As far as I can tell, all the drivers are updated. Twice I've clicked on a YouTube video and this strange buzzing happens and another freeze. The only thing left I know how to do is a hard reset but I haven't done that yet.

Any ideas? Help? I'm about ready to get a hammer.

Thanks for any assistance.

19 REPLIES 19
compenthusiast
Level 5
286 279 8 30
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Annetta, your memory/Ram could be loose; try re-seating your Ram modules; use this guide to see how.

Please reply back with any progress or questions.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
menciasm
2 2 0 1
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My presario cq62 is only 6 months old too.  In the past 2 months, it has been freezing at random times, and this is progressively getting worse.  while on the internet, playing a game, my computer will just stop responding.  on mozilla firefox, so i try to open another browser but laptop is just frozen...  and there is this annoying buzzing sound just before the freezing happens (like the one described by annetta)

don't know what to do.  really unhappy with my computer.  if watching a video, it will also freeze within 30 mins.  if on skype, computer freezes within 30 mins.

i am open to ideas, also thought about getting a hammer... help anyone?

menciasm
2 2 0 1
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

actually, i just tried to watch a 2 minute news clip and computer is freezing already. and the buzzing sound happens, the creen freezes. i bought this Nov 2010.  even as i type, the letters are appearing very slowly

0 Kudos
boonesbane
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm currently experiencing the same exact problem described by the original poster. I just tried reseating my ram to no avail. What fix should I try next?

0 Kudos
boonesbane
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update on my situation: I ran the diagnostic tests in bios on my ram and hdd; the only one that returned an error was the harddrive long test (Hardrive full 305). I wasn't able to determine more specifically what model of laptop i have, it just says presario cq62. The harddrive is made by hitachi if that helps

DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,852
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 305 error ( a failure of the comprehensive HDD test ) would indicate your Hard Drive is physically failing and will need to be replaced - this is also consistant with the issues you mention.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

rattysis
3 2 0 1
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the original poster, have already replaced the hard drive once, and am now having the same problems again. So either it's not the hard drive that's faulty or Compaq just fails at making hard drives. Any other ideas?

ChinaBoyInTexas
1 1 0 2
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

After my retail install of Windows 7 I found something interesting after attempting to re-install some of the HP/Compaq drivers from their site..

MY COMPUTER BEGAN TO FREEZE AGAIN. The freezing intervals were much less severe (1sec vs 30sec) and they were less frequent, but they could not be ignored. I began to uninstall the Compaq drivers one by one and I think I've found the problem:

The Realtek sound drivers on the Compaq site are faulty. A simple uninstall of those drivers and an installation of the latest 64-Bit Windows 7 "High Definition Audio Codec" from Realtek's website (can be found on Google) cleared up my problem and ran smooth as butter once again.

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM BY SIMPLY UNINSTALLING THE STOCK COMPAQ/REALTEK SOUND DRIVERS AND INSTALLING THE GENERIC REALTEK ONES.

I'd love to see if this clears up the common problem so many of us are having. Good luck!

Original Post:

I had the same exact problem with my 2 week old Presario CQ62-209WM. It would freeze whenever the going got rough or the video card took a small load.

After hours of searching and trial and error quick fixes, I found a little nugget of information from an HP forum:

A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS ERASES THE PROBLEM. As in a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, without the HP/Compaq software.

I erased Windows and all HP things from the HDD and reinstalled Windows Home Premium. It worked for me. No more freezing at all. I ran 4 HD video streams and a CPU stress test all at the same time, and the computer ran like clockwork.

I know this isn't exactly the cheapest fix on the list (a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is easily $150). What I had done (I'm not sure this is legal) was obtain a DVD of Home Premium from a friend and installed using that. I simply entered the product key from the bottom of my laptop and all went well, Microsoft Genuine Activation and all.

This was the only thing that is a sure-fire fix for people with this intermittent freezing issue. Good luck!

Corlene
4 3 0 1
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I am a new user, and have EXACTLY the same problem as all those before me...... I would like to know if you have found long lasting success with your solution. 

Kind regards

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation