Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with a Compac CQ71. Due to the lack of batterypower, my Compac CQ71 decided to shut down right in the middel of a bios update.

Now the machine only light up for about 1-2 seconds and dies again.

I have tried to press W-key+B but that does not work at all.

Please help me with this error.

Yours faithfully

Finn Holm

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @xxFinnHolmxx,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the computer doesn't boot back into the windows since the last attempt on updating/Flashing the BIOS,

Don't worry I'll help you out, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Do you know if this was a BIOS or a windows update?

When was the last time it worked (Date)?

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums?

In the meantime, please attempt the below steps:

Start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the PC:

* If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

* If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

* With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

* With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

* Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Attempt to reset or recover the existing BIOS (if the recent update was interrupted): Click here

Step 1: Verify the current BIOS version installed and the correct ROM Family SSID for your PC

Step 2: Find the BIOS updates

Step 3: Download and install the BIOS update

For more details: Click here

If nothing works, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.