cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
KatK8
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer Turns Off at 40% With No Warning

HP Envy 4-1115dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I am having an issue with my HP Envy Touchsmart Sleekbook 4-1115dx.

When on battery, my computer shuts down without warning at around 40% - 50%. I rechecked my power options and they are set to send me notifications of low battery and to hibernate, not just shut down. When I turn the computer back on connected to power, the first page it shows is "Choose your keyboard layout", which I don't know if that is usual.

I have done the HP Support Assistant Battery Check and my last test status was: "Calibrate (20)". To calibrate it wants me to charge my computer to 99% - 100% but my computer only charges to about 94%, so what do I do?

I have also run the battery test in using HP System Diagnostics and the result was "Calibration Required (20)". When I selected the option to calibrate the battery it took me to a screen where I could select "Start Battery Calibration" except my mouse or touch pad or touch screen wouldn't work at all on that page. I pressed esc and it was fine again.

I also read a thread on hear about resetting BIOS and that didn't work either.

So how do I calibrate my battery? Can you do so if your computer can't charge to 100%? And has anyone had a similar issue?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 2 Vamshi786
Level 2
26 26 1 2
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there,

Battery callibration : 

Charge the laptop's battery to its fullest and use the Laptop while it completely drains out the battery, in such a way that the computer is shut down completely.

Repeat the above process a few times, in order to successfully callibrate the battery.

Also, update the BIOS on the Notebook.

Please find the link to update the BIOS.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=HP+Envy+4-1115dx&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0K8...

Choose your appropriate product and the operating system.

Install the BIOS update, and keep the charger plugged in thoughout the process.

And again, despite the above steps, if the issue still persists, please uninstall the Battery from the device manager and check. If nothing works again, please call our technical support as our experts are eager to help you.

Cheers!

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vamshi
Level 1 KaOHO
Level 1
7 7 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Though you have tried the HP Support Assistant to check the battery, here is another way you can try to check and calibrate the battery. The preferred method from link below is to use HP System Diagnostics (UEFI interface).  Hope this helps.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
KatK8
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS as you said, and that seems to have at least told me accurate information.

After updating I ran both HP Support Assistant's Battery Check and HP System Diagnostic's Test and now they both say to replace my battery.

Guess that was the problem.

Thank you for responding so fast.

0 Kudos
KatK8
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you know which battery would work with my computer?

I looked it up on HP's website, and they do not have my HP Envy listed in the list for compatible batteries, and it isn't in the PDF of the 2011 - 2013 models.

0 Kudos
Level 3 alyssa
Level 3
68 67 1 6
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try these steps:

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Thanks,

Alyssa

Thank you,
Alyssa

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation