Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was looking at the HP 840 G1, to see if it is capabale of running an M.2 SSD 2260.

Before I buy this laptop, I would like to know, if it support M.2 2260 form factor, as there are 2 holes for the M.2 lock screw (one for 2242 and the other looks for 2260).
I wonder if the spacer on 2242-edge can be moved into 2260-edge so I can install M.2 2260 SSD.

See picture below, where you can see 2 holes (the screw is at the edge of 2242 M.2 in this picture)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/HP/EliteBook_840_G1/36_ssd2.jpg

HP Recommended

I can't help but think this should be the easy bit, but -- once it's installed and Windows cloned onto it, how do I boot from the SSD? There isn't an obvious boot option in the BIOS unless I'm missing something obvious.

HP Recommended

No wait, I updated the BIOS and now the m.2 is clearly listed as a boot option, but even when I prioritise it and deselect everything else it boots to C:. Whyyyyyy

HP Recommended

firnue (or anyone else for that matter)

Did you find out if a 2260 drive will fit? Can't find a 2242 drive with enough storage.  Ideally I would like to have a ~500 GB drive but that only leaves 2280 drives which I am hesitant that they will fit.

Thanks

HP Recommended

The biggest 2260 out there till date is Transcend MTS600 512GB.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-512-SATA-MTS600-TS512GMTS600/dp/B00KLTPWJE

I think 2280 is out of the question.

But I still hope 2260 will fit. Anyone care to try?

Please share your experience.

HP Recommended

setting boot priority in BIOS is not enough, you have to also properly set WIn OS install >> mark active partitions etc ....

Or invest 20 USD for Paragon migrate to SSD for hassle free partition transfer as I did ....

HP Recommended

Looking at bivoy picture above, the WWAN space is unoccupied,.
With those "spacious" room, I now wonder if I can fit this adapter on those area.

Pic:
http://www.microsatacables.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97da...
Full Link:
http://www.microsatacables.com/msata-ssd-to-m-2-ngff-adapter-card-with-ffc-cable

If it could then we can fit 1TB of extra harddisk, by install a 1TB mSata, installed on the adapter above, then connect it into NGFF connector in HP 840.
With another 2.5" 1TB, then we can equip the laptop with total of 2 TB harddisk.

This would definitely have higher risk of not having enough space, and securing the adapter would be another challenge.
Consider this option with your own risk. I'll see if it's possible once I got my unit.

HP Recommended

Sorry a bit confused on this topic.  Are most of the posters just trying to find a replacement drive in the m2 slot?  I am trying to do the following as well and hoping someone can clarify with exact model numbers to purchase:

1. Trying to replace main HDD that came with the 840 G1 with a SSD and I bought a Axiom not by choice but only one approved as standard at my company.  If anyone has had success with a 240 - 500GB SSD in the 2.5 slot please list out your model.

2.  Also trying to maybe add an additional SSD in the m2 slot as well.  Model numbers to purchase would help as well.  

Also my question is can one ditch the OEM 2.5 HDD and just run the OS using the m2 SSD as the only drive or is it only able to be provisioned as a secondary drive?

Thanks for all your input. 

HP Recommended
Hello. Hopefully I can help make this easier for anybody as confused as I was, before finding this page. I have a HP Elitebook 840 G1 notebook. I wanted to add this

I purchased the Transend 42mm M.2 SSD. The largest capacity available is 256GB. This is what others above recommended, and was the best price on Amazon.

Remove the laptop cover plate and install in the slot as per the ssd card instructions in the box. Be sure to screw it down.

The hard drive will not immediately recognize, but don't be alarmed.

I downloaded Acronis True HD and used it to clone my complete drive. It did it's thing, and restarted. The system will automatically change drive letters to c,d and e. And make the ssd the boot drive. Very easy! I then wiped the hdd clean and formatted it to use as a data/backup drive.

Hope this helps
HP Recommended

Hi!

Just to clear some things... I bought a m.2 (ngff) 2 mSATA Adapter with flat cable and it works perfect with a 500 gb Samsung 840 EVO mSATA.

It just cost about 19 Dollar... you can find it at a big online auction house: 321437786896

It took about 18 days to Germany.

Regards,

b

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.