Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've check the laptop in person, and it has not enough room to install 2260, as the screw-holder is soldered for 2242.

I found a possible way of using mSata or M.2-2260/2280, but it's going to be a bit nasty. It is not a plug-and-play option.
7mm drive must be used so there will be gap between the cover and the harddrive, and this is where the mSata or the longer M.2 disk will sit.
Use any of these adapter that uses flex cable.

• mSATA SSD to M.2(NGFF) B KEY SATA adapter card +cable
http://eshop.sintech.cn/msata-ssd-to-m2ngff-b-key-sata-adapter-card-cable-p-1004.html

• extender board for M.2 (NGFF) SATA-SSD.
http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/P16S-P16F.html

There's a consideration of signal quality going through this flex cable. But you'll never know until you try it.

Update: Just saw brillon post about M.2-mSata with flex cable. How you manage to secure the mSata?

This might void your warranty.
Try this with your own risk... :smileywink:

HP Recommended

Thanks firnue!!

---------------

Hi everyone,

I just finished my project on a EliteBook 850 G1 which only has a second ngff-slot for M.2 SSD-Drives.

I bought an adapter on e-ba...  The Item Number is 321437786896  and is called "Sintech mSATA 3 SSD to M.2(NGFF) B KEY SATA adapter card with 10/20CM FPC cable" - it is cheaper with shipping than buying it on their store-site.

With this adapter I was able to put a bigger 500 GB mSATA drive to my 850 - 250GB was no option for me because I am syncing a lot of private data in my private cloud. The space to build the msata SSD in is very very low but I got it to work.

I have a HP/Micron SSD 2,5" built in ssd drive with company Image (the SSD is lower than HDDs) - so I was able to put the msata adapter in. Ah and also I had to disassembled the screws etc - I fixed everything with TAPE because there is really no space.

Now I can press F9 and choose the company Image or my private image - both drives are encrypted and I disabled the drives in the devices list against each other.

If you need photos just ask :smileyhappy:

Regards!

HP Recommended

Photos!! :smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

A picture is worth a thousand words

Thanks a bunch, brillon!...

HP Recommended

So I just installed a Transcend MTS400, 256 GB M.2 drive and it installed and worked without any problems as the primary boot drive.  This is with BIOS L71 Ver. 01.21 on the 840 G1.

HP Recommended

Is there anyway to utilise both m.2 slot as SSD?

HP Recommended

can you please tell me how you get the service port open ?

I have the same laptop and have realsed the catch at the top but it just not opening and there appears to be no screws that need undoing (unless I am totally missing them)

Help 😞

HP Recommended

Red90, are you saying that with updated bios, the m.2 SSD is recognized without all the confusing jumping through hoops experienced by others last year?     Also, can anyone confirm that the m.2 SSD can be used for storage,  (I have been told that it can only be used as a boot drive for some reason).   I already have the 180 GB SSD installed as main drive and see no need to clone to m.2.   Would rather just use m.2 for storage and backup.

HP Recommended

To help out...

I used "Transcend 128 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS128GMTS400".

It works great, the socket on the SSD module and the motherboard look different, but they still work just fine.  The mother board looks to be two section key and the SSD looks like a 3 section key.  The module I ordered did not have a screw with it and the mother board was missing the screw, but just above the M.2 slot there was a scew that was not used that I moved to that spot.

I did the same method as posted above, disable m.2 and swithc to raid, then boot and blue screen, then switch back.  Go to diskmgmt and format.  I installed Win10, changed Windows boot selection to automatically boot to WIN10 OS and diabled password requirement, it will go from power off to full windows enviorment, usually, in under 15 seconds.

This was the first time I messed with that form factor, and it was difficult to find any infomation on it...  Hope this helps a little.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.