Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Taz1 Tutor
Tutor
15 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Confusing RAM speed after BIOS update

p1a95ua
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got this laptop on Feb. 2016, the HP support assistant specs showed 4 GB RAM at 800 Mhz, after the BIOS update is now showing 4 GB RAM at 1600 Mhz.  The manual says the max speed is 1333 Mhz.  Can someone explain this? I want to upgrade the RAM and need to know if the OEM RAM is salvageable?

4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
70532 8477 18226
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

Hi,

It runs dual channels therefore 800MHz and 1600MHz mean the same thing (800MHz dual or double = 1600MHz). But due to slower chipset, it automatically downgrade from 1600MHz to 1333MHz. (similar to driving a fast car on a speed limited road).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Taz1 Tutor
Tutor
15 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

The manual says this a single channel machine.  Also, OEM ram is only in one slot.  I need to buy a pair of 4 gb SODIMs to upgrade to max 8 gb, but which speed SODIM should I buy 800 or 1600 mhz?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
70532 8477 18226
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

Hi,

You have to buy the same specs with the existing RAM  (1600MHz).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Taz1 Tutor
Tutor
15 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

I added 4 GB of RAM. under PC properties I see 8 GB of ram, but now under HP support assistant, no RAM is shown, what gives?

0 Kudos
Tags (2)

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation