cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
loriace Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cooling fan error on start up

I have a pavillion dv6 2151cl and am getting this error message and it won't let me start the computer, any advice?  Thank you

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Provost Provost
Provost
23,623 22,033 1,892 6,985
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it Error 902?

If so, there is a fix.  Here is the document that has the patch number and information you need:

Error "Cooling Fan (902)" Appears when the Notebook is Powered On

Take a look and see if this is what you are seeking.

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” if I provided the fix for your problem.  Thanks!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,535 2,518 150 517
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The cooling fan is probably bound up with dust or lint and the machine is trying to keep you from burning up your laptop.  Vacuum out the fan area or use a can of air in the reverse direction of the normal air flow.  A wall of dust and lint can build up on the inside of the heatsink next to the fan blades.  Another problem would be if the fan has stopped working.  Then the fan would have to be removed, cleaned, lubricated and tested. You could also order a new fan but sometimes they are hard to get. Does the fan spin at all when you hit the power button?

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,535 2,518 150 517
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Impressive Dragon-Fur! Nice call if that is the number.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

0 Kudos
loriace Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, yes 902 is the code, the problem is that I can't start the computer to get to those files to download them,  I have tried spraying air, i';m now going to try the vacuum.  thank you

0 Kudos
loriace Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no I don't hear it spinning
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,535 2,518 150 517
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Someone will have to dissemble it to the point where they can clear the fan and lubricate it or replace it.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
23,623 22,033 1,892 6,985
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could be as Danjen says, gummed up... Here's the thing:  IF it is jammed with dirt and dust, in addition to the failure code, then try the following to get the best result from the cleaning:

When spraying air, use short, clean bursts in the same direction as the fan turns.  Follow up with a close inspection (get a magnifying glass, if needed) and VERY carefully poke with a small wooden pick a bit to pry loose any tiny bits that may be stuck where you can see that may be jamming the mechanism.  Poking at it is not recommended procedure - be careful about this.  Smiling.

Here is the doc on the cleaning bit:

Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents - notebooks

If you want to try opening up the box, here is the service manual... It's not a big deal if you don't have a warranty to worry about... use a flat, clean surface, have a bowl for tiny bits, and use lots of good lighting.

See Chapter 4, Page 40

HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Considering that the computer did generate that nice code for you, the fix is probably the patch download and installation if you can just get the box started... nonetheless, at this point, you must try what you can to get it to cooperate.  If all else fails and you get get the unit to a repair shop, fans are not the worst that can happen (not a terrible lot of cash to fix)... the computer is worth fixing if that is all that is wrong with it.

Good Luck!

<<<   Click the White Kudos Star on the Left to give “Kudos / Thanks” for the help.

Please Click “Accept as Solution” if I provided the fix for your problem.  Thanks!

Always Include:  (Computer) Product Number  ,  Printer – Model Number ,

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
RonakPatel6 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

My laptop HP Pavilion g6-2248ca seems to be having the same prolem. Everything works but on start up a message comes up saying:

The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly. Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behaviour that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shutdown in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation please press the enter key now.

System Fan (90B)

Enter-Continue startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I don't know if there is a Bios to update for my laptop, if so can you please link it. 

Also if you have any suggestions on fixing the problem without replacing the fan would be much help.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
LilliLavender Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

My laptop has the same message poping up on start-up. The computer tech has check and cleaned everything and thinks it is a programming issue:

The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly. Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behaviour that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shutdown in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation please press the enter key now.

System Fan (90B)

Enter-Continue startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

What else could be going on?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation