cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ogdad22342
Level 1
7 3 0 1
Message 21 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

are you sure u were dealing with an hp tech or a fly by night person  did you call hp?at there service number ?

cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 22 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

There is now HP customer support service center in my country Yemen. I called HP support in the US, and in the UAE, but all of them didn't help me since the parts I purchased from Yemen. However, as siad that the Yemeni merchant was suggested by HP customer support in Dubai.

Could you please let Huffer reply to my final questions? 

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 23 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

If you do not have thermal compound you will have to buy it. Where are you located (country)? You can get thermal compound in little individual packages kind of like Ketchup at a fast food restaurant or little syringes. Clean all traces of compound off the top of the processor and off the processor contact point on the heatsink. Apply a BB sized dot of thermal compound to the top of the processor and then put the newly rebuilt heatsink down on top and screw down. Be sure to not disturb the thermal pads that are on the heatsink and contact the other heat points as shown in the diagram. You do not need thermal compound on those points, just keep the pads intact.

These are my final questions, so I hope you reply to them to be only in a safer way. Yes, they are quite a lot, but most of them nly need to be answered with Yes, or not. 

Firstly:  In the manual, it is said: The thermal material must be thoroughly cleaned from the surfaces of the heat sink and the system board components,

• Thermal paste is used on the processor (1) and the heat sink section (2) that services it.
  • A thermal pad is used on the graphics subsystem chip (3) and the heat sink section (4) that services it (only on computer models equipped with a graphics subsystem with discrete memory).
  • A thermal pad is used on the Northbridge chip (5) and the heat sink section (6) that services it.

So, I do  apply a BB sized dot of thermal compound to the top of the processor, and not apply thermal compound on thermal pads? In other words,  I only need to clean the top of the processor of old thermal compound, and not clean the pads, then I will apply new thermal compound to the top of the processor before bolting down the rebuilt heatsink/fan unit?  

Secondly: In the manual, I read 'Replacement thermal material is included with the fan/heat sink assembly, processor, and system board spare part kits.  Replacement thermal material is also available in the Thermal Material Kit.'

So, I  can understand from this that  Thermal compound is not customarily sold with fans, it can customarily sold only with full heatsinks, or processor, and system board spare part kits.

Also, I can understand that 'Thermal compund' can be sold separately.

Thirdly: 

However, I will not need to remove the old fan from heatsink, and applying thermal compound at all with the fan/heatsink assembly which includes thermal compound, and fan rebuilt in. 

Fourthly: How much could a BB sized dot of thermal compound be equalled? It is pea sized dot?

@Huffer wrote:

The old fan is not an HP part Number because HP does not sell just the fan so the fan cannot have an HP Part number. Only the entire heatsink assembly can have an HP Part number. However, the fan may be identical to the fan HP used as a component of the heatsink such that it will work fine. Looking at the picture of the heatsink you posted from the Manual and then the photo of the fan you have (all I have to go on) it appears the new fan you have is the right size and shape but very hard to tell from the limited evidence I have. It will be apparent when you remove the heatsink and hold the new fan next to it whether the fans are the same. I am going to hope the guy you bought the fan from knew what kind of fan you needed. The old fan may even have a decal on it that has the fan maker part number (not HP part number) and you may see it is the same as the new one. 

Firstly:  I am expecting that old fan has a decal with an HP part Number since it has been pre-installed inside the entire heatsink assembly of my laptop by the factory(HP). Also, since all the other components, such as 'HDD, optical drive have decals with HP part numbers.

So, I am expecting all components inside my HP laptop have a decal with HP part number. 

Yes, but my HP laptop should have  the entire heatsink assembly which can have an HP Part number as long as my laptop was manufactured by HP, and I have never ever replaced any part of it. 

If my old fan doesn't have HP part number, then I can consider it is not for a vendor, and not a brand for HP. So, some components of my HP laptop are branded for HP, such as HDD, Optical drive, Battery, since they have decal with HP spare numbers. However, some, such as 'fan' are just  for vendors who sell heatsinks.

Secondly: You said 'The fan is only a component of the cooling unit (heatsink). HP does not sell just the fan so it has no HP Part number'

But as long as my HP laptop came from the HP factory, then it should have the entire heatsink assembly?

@Huffer wrote:

You are not going to buy the rebuilt heatsink you are going to rebuild it YOURSELF using your old heatsink inside your laptop, by removing the old bad fan and replacing it with a new good fan. Vendors who sell heatsinks on the internet make them that way and you can, too. What you need to do is pull the heatsink from your laptop and post a picture of it next to that clean new fan you keep posting pictures of. Then maybe I can see whether the fan you have will work as a replacement for the old fan. 

Firstly: There is only a procedure of how to remove the fan/heat sink assembly. There is no procedure of how to remove the old fan from heatsink and replacing it with a new good fan in my HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC-Maintenance and Service Guide)c02842252.
As you said 'you have to take the old fan out of the heatsink and there are no instructions I can send you for that. It is a bit of a gray art that any competent laptop tech would know how to do from pure experience.'

Secondly:  I don't have  some copper clips and some thermal silver tape. So,  if they are necessary while rebuilding heatsink,  I will need to try to save the old thermal sliver tape or any copper clips to reuse them.

Thirdly:  As long as I am going to rebuild the heatsink by removing the old fan, and then installing the new fan if clean up the old thermal compound or not, then what difference is there if I clean up the old thermal compound before having the whole heatsink rebuilt with new fan or after  having the whole heatsink rebuilt with the new fan can you then clean up the old thermal compound . If no difference, then why did you said when you have the whole heatsink rebuilt with the new fan can you then clean up the old thermal compound and reinstall the heatsink?

Finally:  Could you please escalate my complaint again that Yemen merchant to the HP representatives since HP representatives in Dubai suggested him to me, if you can or anyone in charge in HP .

I complain that Yemeni merchant to HP Customer support telling them that Yemen merchant is liar, and deceiver. But, so far, no representative in HP Customer support in Dubai replied to my complaint. That fan he sold me for $50 likely cost him about $3. Also, he sold me a HP battery with $85.

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,039 44,815 7,238 12,841
Message 24 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Huffer has left the building. It is somebody else's turn to deal with you

cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 25 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

Huffer has left the building. It is somebody else's turn to deal with you

Thanks a lot,

Can I understand this is a joke. How somebody else deal with me as long as the user name is Huffer.

At least please in short answer my questions before or a very least tell me if I'd taken apart my laptop, and while installing the new fan, I found that it would not fit to the heatsink. So, I could put it back together if the new fan hadn't been installed well using the old fan.

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 26 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why did no one reply to me?

I didn't find Arctic sliver of Thermal compound, I only found silicon fluid as this image below, is it OK to be used? 

Thermal compound1.JPG

Firstly:  In the manual, it is said: The thermal material must be thoroughly cleaned from the surfaces of the heat sink and the system board components,

• Thermal paste is used on the processor (1) and the heat sink section (2) that services it.
  • A thermal pad is used on the graphics subsystem chip (3) and the heat sink section (4) that services it (only on computer models equipped with a graphics subsystem with discrete memory).
  • A thermal pad is used on the Northbridge chip (5) and the heat sink section (6) that services it.

So, I do  apply a BB sized dot of thermal compound to the top of the processor, and not apply thermal compound on thermal pads? In other words,  I only need to clean the top of the processor of old thermal compound, and not clean the pads, then I will apply new thermal compound to the top of the processor before bolting down the rebuilt heatsink/fan unit?  

Secondly: In the manual, I read 'Replacement thermal material is included with the fan/heat sink assembly, processor, and system board spare part kits.  Replacement thermal material is also available in the Thermal Material Kit.'

So, I  can understand from this that  Thermal compound is not customarily sold with fans, it can customarily sold only with full heatsinks, or processor, and system board spare part kits.

Also, I can understand that 'Thermal compund' can be sold separately.

Thirdly: How much could a BB sized dot of thermal compound be equalled? It is pea sized dot?

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 27 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could you please reply to me?

No one told me what about the notes ''high conductivity' written on the bottle of thermal compound , I read 'high conductivity, low bleed, Stable at high temperatures" in the properties of the silicone compound container.

I read somewhere on the internet that 'silicon compound' is OK to be used as long as it is non-conductive'

0 Kudos
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 28 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended
  1. 2015-07-11 21.52.04.jpg2015-07-11 21.44.06.jpg2015-07-11 21.21.19.jpg2015-07-11 21.41.24.jpg2015-07-11 21.31.55.jpgFirstly: If you see the images of my system board you will see there are no thermal pads at all. So I think I will need to apply new thermal compound on the top of processor and on the graphics subsystem.

Secondly: there are old thermal compound on the processor and on the heatsink section that services it. Also, on the top of graphics subsyste m and on the heatsink section that services it.

Thirdly: while removing the old fan from the heatsink, I found there was thermal tape which was torn. That material is easy to be torn. Can l find another one to reuse.

Finally: I was advised to clesn the old fan with a paint thiner which is a liquid used to thiner paint-based oil and their use. I can clean the entire old fan and heatsink assemply with that material.

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,184
Message 29 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @cooperator ,

You need to take the notebook to a repair center for correct parts and thermal paste compound applications. 

You are trying to install non HP Certified parts and no the correct  thermal paste compound.

Here is a link to help you locate HP Certified Replacement Parts. These are made for you processor and Motherboard. From my original post.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
cooperator
Author
Level 5
516 358 0 5
Message 30 of 33
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks a lot
could you please answer my questions posted before if you could see my screen shots i posted before? I , myself, took apart my notebook, and myself want to do the rebuilding.

I know that the new fan i have is not hp certified fan. However, i have removed the old fan from my heatsink which came preinstalled from the factory, and i found the old fan is not hp certified fan. It is just like the new one. I now have cleaned my old fan. Then, i have cleaned the old thermal cmpound from the top of processor and graphics subsystem, and i am going to bolt the cleaned old fan in my heatsink again after t, putting the new thermal compound on the top of processor and on the graphics subsystem as there is old thermal compound on both of the top of processor and the graphics subsystem if you saw my screenshots posted before.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation