Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Folio 1040 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ive been thru the drivers supplied on the HP support site but none of them work!

Ive been thru the intel website for drivers for the Intel Wireless-N 7260 wifi card. No go there either

Ive tried manually installing the drivers i have via device manager using legacy hardware.

Ive tried using earlier drivers in compatability mode - no go either.

I cant use the ethernet port because the dongle does not work. Never has.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller.

That is what the wlan card is labeled when it doesn't have a driver installed.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended
Hi thanks for the reply.

Sadly the wlan does not show in device manager. Not even under hidden devices. I only know its an intel wireless-n 7260 because i took the laptop apart to findout
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A couple of questions, and we'll proceed from there.

1. Is the wireless card listed as present and enabled in the BIOS?

2. Did you upgrade to W10 from W7, and was the wireless card working fine on W7?

HP Recommended
Yes the wifi card is listed and on in the bios.

It was working fine in win7 and yes upgraded to 10 but it didnt work thereafter. Did a clean instal of win10 and still nothing. Went back to win7 and still the same problem
HP Recommended

OK:

And you pressed the F12key to make sure the wireless is activated, correct?

This would be the only software issue I can think of then...

You may have had the HP Connection Manager installed on W7, and for some reason the wireless was turned off during the upgrade to W10.

The HP connection manager software will not work on W10, so what you have to do if you are now back to W7, is to install the HP connection manager software, restart the PC, make sure the wireless, ethernet and bluetooth are turned on using the HP connection manager software.  If you are on W10, you will need to reinstall W7.

This package provides the HP Connection Manager for supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/sp66531.exe

Once you have confirmed that all networking devices are turned on and working, then uninstall the connection manager software, restart the PC, verify the networking devices are still present and working in the device manager, and now you can reinstall W10, and you should be fine.

If that fails to remedy the problem, I would have to say the wireless card suffered some coincidental hardware failure.

HP Recommended

Well it turned out to be the wifi card being faulty. I installed a new one and it went perfectly.

Thank you for all your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to resolve the problem by replacing the wlan card.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.