cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DunwoodyBill
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Critical Error Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

HP Recommended
Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Blue and white box says "Critical Error" "Critical Error  Your Start menu isn't working.  We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." With a clickable box in the lower right that says, "Sign out now"   I tried repetedly to sign out and sign back in.

I have SimplePass and none of the four sign in options seem to make any difference.

9 REPLIES 9
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DunwoodyBill ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY 17 Notebook and issue with Simplepass and an error message stating that your Start menu isn't working correctly. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows 10.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed.

Here is a document that shows how to update drivers that are not working correctly with Windows 10.

I would be happy to assist if needed as there are many models of HP ENVY 17 Notebook. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Caly0930
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I thought I had messed up the BIOS. I didnt "sign out now" and trying the trobleshoot but is not working. 

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Caly0930,

I would uninstall what have for the HP Simplepass now and reinstall it. Here is a download for the Fingerprint scanner for Windows 10. This download sp71729.exe should work for you.You will have to reregister your prints.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
wizard1001
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a known and increasingly common problem with windows 10. Try booting to safe mode then boot to normal mode. This worked for me ( so far ). It is however only a temporary fix and the problem may reoccur. Hopefully microsoft will have a permanant fix soon via windows update.

Hope this helps. :Surprise:

edit: some users may find this link useful:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03439317

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @wizard1001,

I was checking with Microsoft and their solution it to reinstall Windows. I would try a Refresh. Then if that does not help you will have to Reinstall Windows.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
humeka
Level 2
27 25 1 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I uninstalled DROPBOX ...it caused all my problems

aheistad
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems dropbox caused my "critical error" too! Thanks to the previous person who told me that. Fixing windows did not work for me. I was going to return the computer as my start menu wasnt working; heres to hoping this fixes the problemo.

0 Kudos
vman92
3 1 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uninstalling Dropbox fixed my issue as well.

0 Kudos
EmmaNolan289Pc
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start with the basic it is essential to run windows troubleshooter first before doing complex troubleshooting.

if you find it more difficult t solve check this website and perform other solutions provided.

https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-10-start-menu-critical-error/

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation