cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cursor often moves haphazardly when typing

HP Envy 15 x 360 PC 64-bit
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cursor often moves haphazardly when typing in Word or Excel or even when creating an email. Examples:

App might close without warning.

When making an entry to a given Excel cell, cursor will suddenly jump to another cell.

When typing a paragraph in Word, cursor will jump to another spot on the docx.

So, must always look at the screen when entering text and data to make sure entry point hasn’t suddenly changed.

We assume HP Support Assistant / Settings /”Install important and recommended updates automatically when possible” and associated HP updates and messages scheduler is keeping drivers set current?

Is there perhaps a more current keyboard driver? We have “Standard PS/2 Keyboard driver version 10.0.10240.16384 dated 6/21/06. “Update Driver” indicates this is the most current driver.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 9
1,978 1,975 183 586
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

From what I see this could be either MS Office Issue or Mouse is dieing.

Try a different mouse/Keyboard and check if the issue persists.

Else Reinstall MS Office.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Level 3 grizb8
Level 3
44 44 1 16
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello,

Here is an artcle on the mouse cursor jumping randomly while typing.

Also go to this page and input your specific model to download the latest drivers.

Grizb8
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + if I have helped you. Click Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Karthik,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do use a USB connected mouse, but experience these problems when using the lapDtop's keyboard.  I try not to touch the touchpad or lean against the edge of the laptop when using the keyboard. 

We have another identical laptop which has an external keyboard connected through a docking station.  We experience no haphazard cursor movements when using this keyboard.  I will connect this external keyboard to the laptop experiencing the input problems.  These two computers are still under warranty.

Don't think its an MS Office issue because problem will occur with other software.

0 Kudos
line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Interesting article grizb8, thank you very much.  I will study it.

line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Karthik,

Tried a different (external) keyboard and mouse.  No issues.

So I'm guessing the problem must be with the laptop's keyboard and/or mouse?  Or is it a software problem?

0 Kudos
CharlesMSFT
Level 3
15 15 4 7
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Was reading this issue.  When the cursor jumps, does it jump to the location of the mouse pointer.  I've experienced this in the past with a laptop that my typing would sometimes cause a button click on the touchpad that would move the curser to the location of the mouse pointer; like I had done a mouse click.

I solved this when I used an external mouse and turned off the mouse pad using the hot keys on the laptop.   You can check this in excel or work by moving the mouse to the top of the excel screen; to the window bar for Excel or Word.  When the mouse is there, a single click will not steal focus from where you are in a document.

Try that, if it works then the solution might be to disable the touchpad when using a mouse or at least turning down sensitivity.

Charles

I am a Microsoft Employee
line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Charles,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.  I am going to try this and let you know.  Appreciate your interest and your help.

0 Kudos
Level 4 vj190425
Level 4
153 153 5 6
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your post !!!

please check keyboard with alternate applications like notepad ,command prompt etc

try updating the latest bios on the unit from below link :

www.support.hp.com

"The solutions is provided on best effort basis as a fix "

Regards,

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vijay
0 Kudos
line29
Level 3
51 47 0 5
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You are welcome, vj90425.

I will do as you suggest.  Meanwhile, per Charles' advice, I have turned off the mousepad and am using USB mouse to type this reply, and make entries in Word and Excel.  Will continue to try other software as you suggest tomorrow.  So far, have no issues, so I'm initially very pleased.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation