Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS m7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Many others have asked about this same issue in various related situations. I am seeking a reply from an HP Support Technician who has successfully tested resolving this issue on my HP model laptop and Windows 10 OS.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1511 (OS Build 10586.104) on my HP ENVY TS m7 Notebook PC with Cyberlink PowerDVD version 10.0.8.5004.

PowerDVD 10 has worked fine until yesterday. It played a rented DVD without any issues. When I tried to replay it I received this error message: "MPEG-2 video support is not available for this product. You can upgrade your product for MPEG-2 video support" (see the attached screen capture image below).

ScreenHunter_11 Feb. 20 15.11.jpg

My temporary fix is to download and install the freeware VideoLAN VLC Media Player, version 2.2.2 from this link http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.2/win32/vlc-2.2.2-win32.exe and then opened Control Panel, Auto Play, DVD Movie and selected "Play DVD Movie (VideoLAN VLC Media Player)". This allows me to again play DVDs on my laptop.

However, Cyberlink PowerDVD had some very good features and I would like to continue using it. Another user was advised to uninstall Cyberlink PowerDVD and replace it with this download: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71924.exe . Is sp71924 suitable for use with my model laptop and OS? I don't want to just try it and possibly make things worse.

Also, why are so many people having the same problem using their OEM versions of Cyberlink PowerDVD? Is this simply a plan by Cyberlink to force users to pay for an upgraded product? It would seem to me that HP needs to do something about this matter immediately to maintain their credability and integrity. That's why I would especially appreciate a response from HP directly, although others are most welcome to offer their advice.

Thank you all for your generous help.

Cheers,

Joel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

I tested this version of powerdvd 12 on my HP notebook running W10.  Works fine.

See if it works on yours.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70001-70500/sp70133.exe

If it works on your notebook, there will also be a free update to install for some reason or another.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It sounds like a cyberlink was only registered to the OEM O/S not to the Win10 O/S and it could be a software conflict issue that you will have to contact Cyberlink and ask them about it.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

@PeerOne wrote:

It sounds like a cyberlink was only registered to the OEM O/S not to the Win10 O/S and it could be a software conflict issue that you will have to contact Cyberlink and ask them about it.

Thank you for your reply. I have already contacted Cyberlink Technical Support and am awaiting their reply.

However, I was already playing the DVD when I paused it to try and open the English language subtitles because I had difficulty hearing the dialogue. I also tried to log into MoovieLive with my Cyberlink P/W but could not do so. When I tried to restart the DVD, I received this error message: "MPEG-2 video support is not available for this product. You can upgrade your product for MPEG-2 video support."

It therefore doesn't seem that the change from Windows 8.0 the original OS, to the free Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10 had anything to do with this issue, especially since I had previously viewed DVDs on Cyberlink PowerDVD version 10.0.8.5004 after I had upgraded to Windows 10. There has to be another reason for this issue, esp. since it has been reported by so many other HP users.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Windows 10 won't come with a proper media player and CyberLink version on your machine is compatible with Windows 10. Please try:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html    

It will play nearly all video formats,

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Windows 10 won't come with a proper media player and CyberLink version on your machine is compatible with Windows 10. Please try:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html    

It will play nearly all video formats,

Regards.

Hello Banhien,

Thank you for your reply.

Please note that in my original post I indicated that I have already downloaded VideoLAN VLC Media Player, version 2.2.2 from this link http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.2/win32/vlc-2.2.2-win32.exe .

VideoLAN VLC is indeed an excellent, free media player.

I have also contacted Cyberlink. They told me that Cyberlink PowerDVD 10.0.8.5004 is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1511 (OS Build 10586.104) and advised me to pay for a Cyberlink PowerDVD upgrade to a later version that will work with Windows 10.

Here's what I told Cyberlink:

>>As you advised, I downloaded and ran the Cyberlink Compatibility tool. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay for an update of Cyberlink PowerDVD.

Therefore, I am asking you again to please provide a link to a free upgrade ONLY of Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 to ANY version that is Windows 10 Pro compatible.

Kindly note that I PAID for ALL Cyberlink software products as OEM software included in the price of my HP ENVY TS m7 Notebook PC laptop.

My laptop is still under full extended warranty. I am entitled to have functional software, which I already paid for at time of purchase, provided for it FREE OF ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

If you are unable to provide such functional software FREE OF ADDITIONAL CHARGE, I will contact HP CEO Meg Whitman directly and inform her of Cyberlink's unwillingness to provide such assistance. As Cyberlink is a long standing partner of HP, such LACK OF ASSISTANCE reflects badly on both Cyberlink and HP. I am completely certain that HP will provide me with the free Cyberlink upgrades should you be unwilling to do so.

Please refer this matter to a Cyberlink Corporate supervisor for further assistance, and again advise me of the outcome of this repeated request for assistance.

I hope that we can resolve this matter as I will not be satisfied until my computer is fully functional again. I should not be penalized because Windows 8 was a FAILED Operating System which Microsoft correctly and rightly decided to replace FREE OF CHARGE.

Thank you again for your help. I look forward to your reply.<<

I'm sure that HP will provide Cyberlink Windows 10 upgrades, but I do not see them on the HP Support site. I also ran the HP Suport Assistant, but no updates were suggested.

This is a complex matter because it involves Microsoft, HP, and Cyberlink. HP and Microsoft both have excellent customer support. They realize that it is in their best business interests to satisfy their users. I hope that Cyberlink comes around as well, but if not, I will escalate it to HP to resolve.

For now, I am quite happy to use VideoLAN VLC.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Hi, Joel:

I tested this version of powerdvd 12 on my HP notebook running W10.  Works fine.

If it works on your notebook, there will also be a free update to install for some reason or another.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi, Joel:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying and thank you for the link to sp70133.exe. I have downloaded it and will attempt to install it later. Do you advise that I first uninstall Cyberlink PowerDVD10?

By the way, my HP laptop is an ENVY 17" touchscreen. Not sure if that is important.

I'll report back after I try your suggestion.

Again, thank you so much for helping.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Joel.

Yes, you might want to uninstall version 10 first, reboot and then install version 12.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I just installed sp70133, Cyberlink PowerDVD version 12 and it works perfectly on my laptop. Installation was flawless and without any problem. As you suggested, I first uninstalled version 10 and rebooted.

Thank you for solving this issue. I have so credited your post. It is really terrific to have such wonderful help availablle. Many thanks again.

Cheers,

Joel

HP Recommended

Anytime, Joel.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Cheers,

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.