Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (3,234 Views)

D drive is almost full, need help

[ Edited ]

I've been trying to fix up my HP Presario V5201US by upgrading RAM and deleting useless files. Unfortunately I found out that my D drive *Presario_RP (D:  )* has insufficient memory. As I looked inside the drive I realized the thing thats taking up ALL my memory is in a folder called PRELOAD which is filled with a series files called BASE.INP through BASE_10INP.... All eleven files by this name is taking up over 630,000 kb and I'm at a stand still on how (or if I should even attempt) to delete these files without loosing all of my programs that I have collected over the years....

If anyone can help me solve my problem it would mean so much to me.

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 5 (3,204 Views)

Re: D drive is almost full, need help

That is your recovery partition, leave it alone.

Regents Professor
Message 3 of 5 (3,198 Views)

@blaquekat

I have to comment on your statement "programs that I have collected over the years...."

Hard drives, especially on newer machines fail with out warning and ounce that happens, it is very difficult to retrieve valuable items.

Have you made any backups of your personal files on DVD or an external hard drive ? Putting things on a partition on the same drive the OS is on is quite useless in the event of a hard drive failure, if that is what you have done or planning to do.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (3,193 Views)

I've always placed my files on disks and on my external hard drives. These files however are from 2006 on the date I made my recovery disks. I can most likely start over but if these files are to stay I just need to find out how to increase the memory because my computer is saying it needs more space in that drive.
Provost
Message 5 of 5 (3,186 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Preload files are simply files to do a Recovery of your OS and preinstalled programs from HP. The Recovery drive is by default setup with only a little extra hdd space on that partition.It has nothing to do with memory_Windows just complains when a partition is nearly full.Which in this case has no meaning really since it is by design.

The partition should only contain your Recovery files. If you are saving files there move them/delete them to free up space.Another thing that could cause a problem is if MS System Restore is enabled for that partition.Check Sys Restore and turn it off for D: if it is enabled.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation