cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
qwertyxdc Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV4 Models Recovery Incomplete/Failure (Duplicable Problem)

I'm posting what I found so that HP can take note and fix it, and maybe other users could chime in. 

First of all, I got this DV4 laptop a day or two ago. DV4-1551dx to be exact. 
Now it’s a great a laptop, when it was working… I tried to restore the laptop to its factory settings just to test it out. 

Part 1 – Checking the Restore Disk = Restoration Incomplete/Failed
So I created a restoration disk using the “Recovery Manager” of the laptop. It finished (used 4 single layer dvd disk) and verified that everything is fine. So I went ahead did a restore just to make sure it works in case that I have to restore it in the future.

The restoration seems to be doing its job up to the point where the HP drivers are installing and it restarts the laptop several times.

At some point it says “Restoration Incomplete” with “Save Log, Details, and Retry” The “Save Log, Details” option does not do anything. Hitting “Retry” will ask for disk 1. I tried that and it would just end up the same way.

So I tried restoring form HD, by hitting “F11” this does not work either, it would just say “Restoration Incomplete” with the same options.

Part 2 – Duplicating the Problem
My brother got the same laptop , so I borrowed his.

First I created the restoration disk. That’s fine, no problems there. 
I tried restoring from the HD, by pressing F11. The restoration went well. No problems there.

I tried restoring from the disk, took all 4 disc, then restarts itself several times, it gave the same error, “Restoration Incomplete” with “Save Log, Details, and Retry”

So I tried restoring from the HD again, because that obviously should work just fine and there won’t be any problems. BUT guess what? It gave the same error, “Restoration Incomplete” with “Save Log, Details, and Retry”

Summary:
Restoring from DVD back up disk created by the recovery manager of the laptop seems to give a “Restoration Incomplete” error. This also affects the HD partition of the laptop and thus gives the same error.

If you use the HD recovery first, it seems it’s not a problem.

P.S.
Yes both laptops are pretty much “bricks” right now, waiting for HP’s recovery disk, will try that. Or will return to store if that does not work. 
Another user seems to be having the same issue: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OS&thread.id=26004 
Message Edited by qwertyxdc on 11-27-2009 11:32 PM
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
qwertyxdc Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I received the DVD restore disk this morning. I boot from the disk and tried to restore both laptops.

Both laptops received the same error message:

ChkErrBB.CMD: Detect some error during PININST_BBV.

ChkErrBB.CMD: Check C:\System.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log

Same problem: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OS&message.id=26254&jump=true#M26254 

:Crying:

0 Kudos
pittstateguy20 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a DV4-1548dx and I ordered the HP recovery disks from HP so I could update my hard drive to a 7200rpm drive and I have the exact same problem that you are having nothing seems to work. Have you found a solution yet?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
pittstateguy20 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have got past this problem now! What I did was after installation and the 2nd system recovery disk ejects reboot the computer and while when windows first boots back up press the WLAN button,(it should be blue)  found out it has to be on in order to get past the drivers installation part, I am not at the software installation and had never made it this far til now so im sure that was the fix, good luck!

0 Kudos
ickool Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Save your self a lot of time and pull the Wlan card. I had a hard time getting it to turn on. It is next to the hard drive. After install of windows reinstall the card.

0 Kudos
vjcgio Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,could you tell me please if you fixed your problem ? I have the same problem and i just don't know what to do more..

0 Kudos
qwertyxdc Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply. No I have not gotten past this problem yet but I used a different route. I returned the laptop where I purchased from and made a back-up through Acronis True Image You could contact HP support, you might have to send yours in.

0 Kudos
vjcgio Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

But if you send it back , why did you make a back-up also ? I'm not sure i understand what you mean .

0 Kudos
RichardC3 Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

To solve problems I had using RECOVERY on an older model.

I deleted all partions and treated the HDD as a new replacement.

The recovey partition was re-created automatically during dvd disk based process.

Use your own judgement though.

0 Kudos
qwertyxdc Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I exchanged it for a new one (basically the one I had would not restore back to factory conditions, and it's still within 15 days of getting the laptop from the store), and with the new one I chose to back it up with the acronis instead. When I tried restoring it, it work just fine.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation