Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DirkDiggler Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV6T-7000 Failed Touchpad Firmware update; Now touchpad is dead

DV6T-7000 Quad Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I tried to upgrade to windows 8 and found that the touchpad became super sensitive and jumpy. Reading online I found a firmware that claimed to fix the issue and found it on HPs Support site. Mid install, it reported that it failed and forced a reboot on the laptop.

When it was back up and running I found that the touchpad no longer worked. Its exactly the same issue as in these links:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Touchpad-Not-Working-After-Faile...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Touchpad-Firmware-Failed/td-p/23...

I've tried to reflash and to get new drivers but they are not able to go through. The drivers install but don't fix anything. The flashing will quit saying I need drivers first even though I have them.  I've even reformated and put the factory windows 7 image back on but it still will not work.

The solutions posted in the above links didnt work for me.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can fix this?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found an additional link with much more info much I still couldn't get anything to work.

Unlike the user in this post, I used the correct firmware (according to HP). Mine just failed.

I just can not get around this issue of the reflash tool saying I don't have drivers which is not true.

I'm honestly just hopelessly stuck right now. Apparently these touchpads cost $80 to replace which is unreasonable for me.

If I have to buy a new laptop I know what brand to avoid now.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4379 443 729
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DirkDiggler wrote:

I found an additional link with much more info much I still couldn't get anything to work.

Unlike the user in this post, I used the correct firmware (according to HP). Mine just failed.

I just can not get around this issue of the reflash tool saying I don't have drivers which is not true.

I'm honestly just hopelessly stuck right now. Apparently these touchpads cost $80 to replace which is unreasonable for me.

If I have to buy a new laptop I know what brand to avoid now.

Hi,

Windows on my laptop can't be used anymore. That Windows 10 upgrade ruined it even I haven't used it. As a linux user I don't mind but see the troubles Microsoft have caused to thousand of users not just on HP computers. Get back to Windows 7 or even better try a linux distribution. 

Dv6-7000 Debian Stretch
HP ProBook 640 G1 Hackintosh Mojave 10.14.2
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I went back to windows 7 and it is still broken.

It was killed during a failed firmware update so it written to the hardware directly. Reformates and rolling back don't help.

I put the original windows 7 disk and switched out harddrives on the laptop and it is still broken. To me this is more of a HP/synaptic issue for releasing bad software than windows fault.

I was on windows 8.1 and the driver was for a dv6t-7000 on windows 8.1. I have no idea what caused the failure  but I was had the requirements listed.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I tied more toubleshooting based on other forum posts.

I guess I did a hardware and bios reset which is essentually disconnecting the laptop from battery and power and holding the power button for 1 minute. This did not fix anything for me.

Would you happen to know if there would be a way to install this firmware through linux? I know linux is a lot more open but I don't know if that means you can directly force firmware on hardware though.

Edit: Also is this the best board for this question or would I get more replies on a different board?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation