Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
My hard drive that came with my device recently crashed. I bought a replacement hard drive and had to buy the Recovery Manager from HP. I received it earlier today, and for 6 hours I have been staring at the "Factory image recovery preparations" page with the first tworld items checked and the third unchecked. Progress has remained at 0 % this entire time. It says it can take hours and not look like it is actually progressing at times, but this seems incorrect. I am sure the hard drive I bought as a replacement works with my laptop.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Something doesn't seem right.

It shouldn't take more than 3 hours from soup to nuts to do a recovery.

While I can't help you with why the HP recovery media isn't working, if you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on the Microsoft sticker on your notebook's case, you can make your own plain W7 installation media and use that to reinstall Windows 7.

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Home SP1 or the (Retail version, but the OEM key on your PC's case should work with it)

Win 7 Home SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.