cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
scottsphoto
Level 2
28 19 1 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

DV7-3065dx / BLACK SCREEN/ NO GETTING PAST IT TO DO ANY TEST! WHAT NOW?

HP Recommended
PAVILION DVR-3065DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

CORRECTION MADE 04/18/15----- THE CORRECT MODEL IS DV7-3065DX (NOT--3165DX)

Hi everyone!

HP Pavillion DV7-3065dx

My Screen is black.

Immediatly after pushing the start button, one quick flash on the led next to the cap lock button, then about a one second pause then one slower/longer blink, then the led goes off and stays that way.

(would i count that as one blink or two, or does the super fast blink upon powering it on even count?)

And  then like i said, the cp/light then goes off and stays off.

There is absolutely nothing on the screen, never. All ther other lights are on such as volume, wirless, ect....

I have already tried another monitor, nothing.

I have tried the F10 hold down, nothing.

I have tried removing the hdd, ram, cmos,and dvd. All i got was 3 beeps telling me the ram was not installed. Replaced the cmos and ram, nothing.

I guess i would have to say, the fan is running, but not making much noise at all. The dvd tray did open, then sounded like it tried a couple of clicks to load, but there was no dvd in the tray.

Back in 10/2014 i had to replace the screen, and went ahead and broke the machine all the way down to the cpu/ mb, and done a throrough cleaning and re-thermaled the cpu/heatsink. It has worked great until now, but this laptop is now like

about 9 yrs old! It has been one tough laptop, and I still am not ready to see it go! So please help!

Can anyone tell an amateur what else to try at this point?

Thanks so much for reading,

Chris

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @scottsphoto ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. Thanks for the detailed information. Very helpful.

I have read about your HP Notebook and getting a blank or black screen on startup. Try performing a hard reset.

When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.

Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows 7. Have you tried to start the Notebook without the RAM only?

If that does not help at the end of the document it shows you to do a hardware test.

You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Sometimes this helps with updated issues.

Please provide me with any information on the results of the hardware test.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
scottsphoto
Author
Level 2
28 19 1 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, but there is no way to get around this solid, unresponsive black screen, so i have tried every test, but nothing works.

Is there anyway to physically test the cpu,gpu,ram,mobo, ect.....?

Should tear the laptop down now to the cpu? The entire pc has to be taken apart to get to it. I have done it once before to clean it.

Also in case you need this info here it is: SERIAL # - (Personal information removed by Moderator)   ////////////   PRODUCT # - VM238UA#ABA

Will you be able to determine how old this laptop is with the serial #? If so i would love to know. I know we have had it a long time, and it has been pretty much trouble free, with the exception of having to replace the screen!

My wife loves this laptop!

ALSO>>>>PLEASE MAKE NOTE THAT I MADE A MISTAKE ON THE MODEL EARLIER!  THIS IS THE CORRECT ONE--Dv7-3065dx

Thanks again for your help!

If you are available today, (Saturday) could you possibly call me?

If so, please call Chris @ (Personal information removed by Moderator)

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,551 12,336 1,294 4,130
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scottsphoto,

Is this the laptop you had trouble with last year and had went thru a couple of different screens because Amazon sent you a screen with the wrong ribbon cable?

If so, that new screen is now blacked out again? You didnt mention if you tested to see if the backlight is still working.

Take a look at this video on testing for a bad backlight or inverter. If the inverter is out, you might be able to rig something up to fix it similar to the video. You cannot order a replacement though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCJzA0EBo0

Let me know, thanks.

0 Kudos
scottsphoto
Author
Level 2
28 19 1 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it is the same one.

I was thinking just like you when it went out!

I just knew for sure that dang screen had failed me already!

But I have tried an external monitor that i am sure works, and couldn't get anything there either. (that does mean there is no need to check the backlite now, right?)

Anyway since that should mean it  is not the screen, and i can't test anything by use of the screen, what part do you think would fail first?

I read/was told that the 1 fast blink, then 1 slow blink on the cap lock at start up, then nothing, means a cpu problem, according the hp led codes.(or at least i believe thats right?)

Anyway, i have found a new cpu for only $19.00 on ebay. Should i get it and install it to at least eliminate it as a possiblity?

The only thing is, if i get lucky and it fixes it, i will be wishing i went a head and upgraded as much as the mobo would let me, but i also don't know how to find out the mobo model#?

Will it be written on the board, or is there a way to find out, before i tear it a part?

Thanks for all the help!

Chris

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @scottsphoto ,

The easiest way to test the Notebook parts would be to take the Notebook to a repair center where they have the tools to test which part is not getting power correctly.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For some reason I'm not getting notifications when a reply is made.

The fact that an external monitor is not reacting may not mean anything. My laptop doesnt either unless I point windows to it first.

The test the video shows is an easy way to see if the lcd screen is working but the backlight isnt, since it only requires you to use a flashlight to test with. Then you will know.

Other than that, as Mrstenter said already, a repair shop could tear it apart and test it.

But given what you've been through already, the age of the machine,what you've dumped into it now and what it could cost to repair the computer if you do, its not really worth it. Especially if you end up having to replace the Mobo. But at that point, you will end up having to just buy a used Mobo anyway. Paying a shop to troubleshoot costs also. Then you dont know if its going to just go out again soon. NOT WORTH IT!

Personally, if your using this for a photo career, I would consider it an excuse to upgrade.

If its a matter of OS compatibility with an older photo program, theres ways to work around that. I had too when I was in the biz (Thanks Canon!).

Just my 2 cents.

0 Kudos
scottsphoto
Author
Level 2
28 19 1 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, but if i wanted to take it and pay a shop to do it, then I wouldn't be on here asking questions.

But thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
scottsphoto
Author
Level 2
28 19 1 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that it turned out to be the graphics which is built into the mobo. 

I found out that a whole lot of these HP 3000 and 4000 models had this problem.

So many that they got sued over it!

Anyway, i stuck the mobo in the oven @ 285 degrees, for exactly 10 minutes and re-flowed the soldier, and BOOM!

FIXED!

Not sure for how long, but it works like new, and cost me ZIP!

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@scottsphoto wrote:

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that it turned out to be the graphics which is built into the mobo. 

I found out that a whole lot of these HP 3000 and 4000 models had this problem.

So many that they got sued over it!

Thanks for your help!

The lawsuit you refer to was actually against Nvidia  which several makers including Dell, HP and Apple had to recall their laptops. The models were several from 2005-10.  Your specific model contains an AMD chipset and did not apply.

The Internet is full of misinformation and heresay. There is always someone who wants to make HP out to be the bad guy and lawsuits are as plentyful as air and water now days.

We volunteers can only offer advice based on what info you give us. But Im glad you got it figured out just the same.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation