cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sabzi
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV9743CL burning DVD Power Calibration Error

Hello everyone,

I hope you can help me with this problem. I have an HP DV9743CL laptop (about 18 months old) running Windows XP SP2 ( 3rd party modified performance edition) dual-boot with identical OS on second hard drive. The DVD burner is a (Lite-On???) Slimtype DVD A DS8A1H Firmware WH66 (March 2007) DVD-RAM burner. Recently, I began having problems burning DVDs (burns CDs ok, reads CDs and DVDs ok). I have tried different burning software (Nero, ImgBurn, Cyberlink Power2Go, InfraRecorder, etc...), but all reported the error message: "Power Calibration Error" either near the beginning or end of the burning session. I tried booting into the second Win XP installation and burning from there but got the same problem. Bear in mind that I have previously burned dozens of DVDs with this same setup over a period of more than a year.

I have googled this problem and tried to follow the suggestions offered which basically were: 1) Use newer DVDs, 2) Clean the lens or 3) Disable IMAPI service. None of these suggestions has helped. In my case, there was no IMAPI service to disable anyway. Also, according to Nero InfoTool, ASPI is not installed (whatever that means). Apparently there is no firmware update available for this burner either.

Well, that's the problem. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have in troubleshooting this.

Thank you and best regards,

Sabzi

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
RoyalSerpent
Level 7
1,250 1,246 55 161
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DV9743CL burning DVD Power Calibration Error

Hmmm...sounds like the unit is having problem with the pre-burn test.  Number one failure mode is junk media. 

1.  Use quality media...Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden

2.  Cache data to hard drive, then burn at 4x speed, max

There's a good chance that the laser is defective.  Sometimes, the installation of multiple burn applications can result in noted behaviour.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation