Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
micky_1987 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead Harddisk

Pavilion 14 n009tu
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello,

My laptop's hard disk and I dont even have a recovery disk.

I was wondering how can I activate the windows if I do a clean install using a Win 8 image?

There no key label on the back of the laptop either.

PLease help guys.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
43814 3249 13548
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead Harddisk

The license key is embedded in BIOS and should be retrieved for activation after installing.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

micky_1987 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead Harddisk

Thanks for the solution but I was wondering if I can use a Win 8.1 setup as I couldn't find a Win 8 one?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
14015 1324 3141
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead Harddisk

@micky_1987

There are really two different issues here regarding restoring your PC.

The first is license.  Your PC came preinstalled with an HP OEM version of Windows.  The product key embedded in the firmware of the motherboard of your PC will only work with that version.  If you restore using any other version, that is likey to be a Retail version, and that will require a Retail license to activate -- which I presume you do not have.  The HP license will not activate any Retail versions.

The second is Windows release.  I have a retail version of Win8 and that product key worked with both Win8 and Win8.1.  But you have an OEM version, and I do not know if that license will also work with Win8.1 -- it might not.

Your best bet is to use HP Recovery Media to restore your PC, not something else you bought or downloaded.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation